• Register Today It's free!

Good Quality Thermostat Housing

jimbalaya

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Monica, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Exp.XLT 2wd 4.0 SOHC
Does anyone know of a good quality brand Thermostat Housing [upper and lower], something between the $450 Motorcraft version that the dealer sells and the $57 Dornan from Rock Auto [and other auto part stores]? I replaced my Thermostat Housing last year with a Dornan and it has never sealed property. when I went to tighten one of the bolts yesterday, it sheered -off. I was able to drill it out and replace with a bolt and nut combination, but the seal is still not good. all bolts are super tight, so I am thinking maybe the Dornan brand not so high quality? Finally, I see Rock Auto also has one by Four Seasons - anyone have experience or opinions on that brand?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Supertight is most likely your issue. Its a plastic component, and too much torque will deform it. Its a stupid design for a pressure-containing component, but if you make sure that the seating surface is clean and smooth (I used a razor and then some sandpaper on the metal surface), tighten the bolts a little at a time moving around the pattern, and don't overtighten them you should be fine. The rubber seal does all the work, all the bolts do is hold it in place.

you're probably right

Supertight is most likely your issue. Its a plastic component, and too much torque will deform it. Its a stupid design for a pressure-containing component, but if you make sure that the seating surface is clean and smooth (I used a razor and then some sandpaper on the metal surface), tighten the bolts a little at a time moving around the pattern, and don't overtighten them you should be fine. The rubber seal does all the work, all the bolts do is hold it in place.

Thanks, I think you are probably right. the replacement was such a PITA as far as access to do the work, i did not the bolts to ever loosen so I probably over-tightened.

I am trying to decide whether to get the $57 Dornan replacement and do it right this time, but also intrigued by the link provided in other reply which discussed the new metal lower housing and soon-to-be metal upper housing.

Here's another option that uses the newer upgraded OEM lower housing with non threaded sensors. Only parts required are the Motorcraft RH144 housing, DY1004 ECT sensor, SW6146 gauge sender, two sensor clips, and upper/lower seals. Same parts would be required with the metal housing. Very high failure rate from the factory installed plastic housings, and over tightening may not be the issue although the torque spec is only about 8 ft/lbs. The aluminum replacement sounds like the ticket if you can afford the added cost. GL

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239493

Back