Goodyear Forterra Silent Armor Tires. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Goodyear Forterra Silent Armor Tires.

Anyone have any experience with the Goodyear Forterra Silent Armor tires on a 2nd GEn Explorer 2 dr or 4 dr 4x4 ? I have been contemplating these tires to replace my aging Michelin LTX's but would like to know if anyone else has tried these tires and if so- what did you like or dislike about these tires? I'm lookiong for a smooth, comfortable highway ride for a stock 2000 Sport 2dr 4x4. Michelins have been great- just time to replace. Thanks for any useful info you can share.

Attachments

• fortera_silentarmor_owl_ci3_l.jpg
    fortera_silentarmor_owl_ci3_l.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,465

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you liked the may that the Micelins rode then you are goingto have a hard time finding a tire that truely replaces them. I had the LTX's for 132k on them and loved them, but at the persent time I am running the Wrangler silent armors and love them. They don't seem to wear and they grip the road or the dirt rather well.

Thanks for the info on the Wrangler Silent Armors.Do you find these tires a little more noisy then the MIchelins ? I have talked with a few Sporttrac owners locally who like the Wrangler Silent Armors but all commented that they were noisy compared to the "stock" tires .When asked what they replaced- most of these Sportrac owners replaced Wrangler RT/S -Ford's OEM choice.The Wrnagler Silent Armors are also under consideration- but I'm strictly summer time , highway driving with these tires.Do you find these tires comfortable & quiet like the LTX's ?

fortera and ltx m/s on 97 XLT 4dr 4x4

I had the same situation as you. I had the Michelan lts m/s, great tire. I replaced them with the Fortera Silent Armour and loved them. The Forteras looked good, handled great and were quiet. The downside was a loss of 1.5 mpg and tread life that's half that of the Michelan. I have 35,000 miles on the forteras and will be lucky to get 5,000mi more on them. Next tire? Back to the Michelans and twice the tread life unless someone has a better suggestion.

tc11362- Thanks for the reply. You raise a good point.From what I could find on Tire Rack reviews- most said that the Fortera Silent Armors just don't wear as long as they thought they should. And I think Goodyear has something like a 70,000 mile "treadwear expectancy" ratings on these tires. Yet-all the reviews I read and your experience as well points to an average of 30-40,000 miles. Also- the mpg decrease would be a sore spot with me as you and other reviewers have indicated a decrease of 1 to 2 mpg.Thank you for your real world experience & sharing it here. You may be right- maybe the Michelin is simply the right tire for these vehicles for smooth , quiet everyday driving.

my opinion and experience the goodyears are overpriced...
If you liked the michelins then i would stick with them... i had a set of the michelin cross terrain SUV tires..They were super nice and even pretty quiet on road! They had tons of miles before they wore out. Just make sure to rotate them often!:D

tc11362- Thanks for the reply. You raise a good point.From what I could find on Tire Rack reviews- most said that the Fortera Silent Armors just don't wear as long as they thought they should. And I think Goodyear has something like a 70,000 mile "treadwear expectancy" ratings on these tires. Yet-all the reviews I read and your experience as well points to an average of 30-40,000 miles. Also- the mpg decrease would be a sore spot with me as you and other reviewers have indicated a decrease of 1 to 2 mpg.Thank you for your real world experience & sharing it here. You may be right- maybe the Michelin is simply the right tire for these vehicles for smooth , quiet everyday driving.

Wow!!!!Mine wore out in about 35k,,,they suck...do not buy them...I repeat do not buy them....I hope these worn down tires will last another 10k miles so I can get some new ones...They look good...that's about it...

Check out Nokian Tyres at Kal Tire. I put on a set of 235's and they ran quiet and nice traction in winter.

Upgraded to 265's and love them, cheap 6ply too.

-mc

While I don't have experience with the forterras I am running the car version on my wife's Lincoln. The Assurance triple tread great tires grip on anything. Ice, snow, wet, dry everything. I highly recommend them.

Tim

Back