Goodyear Forterra Silent Armor Tires- opinions\? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Goodyear Forterra Silent Armor Tires- opinions\?

Hello to all. I would like to get some input and advice on the Goodyear Forterra Silent Armor tires. Anyone running them on a GEN 2 ( 1995-2001) Explorer for awhile now ? I recently got some good information from dannyb420 concerning the Bridgestone A/T Revo's that he has been running on his 2003 Ex. Appears to be a great tire & I really appreciate the look, tread design and information he offered on these Revo/s.This is one of my choices for replacement tires for my 2000 Sport in a P265-70R-16 size.
There are two other tires I am considering right now as well. Forterra Silent Armor is one- love the look and definitely interested in quiet & comfortable ride.These tires rate fairly high on Goodyear's website-second only to the Forterra Triple Tread SUV tire.That's also a great tire-but sadly-is not available in white lettered sidewall.Not a big deal-just a personal preferrence.
Now-has anyone got some long term experience with preferably the Forterra Silent Armor that they could share here ? Interested in nowing how they feel in wet, dry, and snow and how the ride quality is. I have Goodyear Assurance triple treads on my Grand Marquis- great all weather tire.I swap to winter rims & tires on both vehicles-so snow & ice performance is not as much of a concern- just need to get past the initial "seasonal driving adjustment" that comes with living in a country with 4-6 months of winter : )
Finally -interested in knowing if you would recommend buying the Forterra Silent Armor based on your positive ( or maybe not so positive) experience with them.
The Revo's still are high on the list-but excellence is never inexpensive. Often- Goodyear offers seasonal deals on purchases ( 4 tires for price of 3 is popular- 25% off) so of course these are all things to consider before making the decision to purchase.
I appreciate if you have taken the time to read this and have something to contribute- by all means- real world data by real world drivers is great.
Hoefully- we can all learn something . Thanks for your help.

Tbirdman, I've been running Triple Treads for almost a year now. Thie Ex is my freeway commuter and I'm out in L.A. so weather isn't as severe as out your way. The rain slick streets in L.A. tend to generate a mixture of oil and water. A scary combo. These tires feel great in panic stops or decelerating into then accelerating out of winding freeway interchanges, wet or dry. The ride is good and they are quiet too. These aren't the cheapest tires around but like you said, "excellence is never inexpensive."
The down side for some, besides the price, is the look. Yeah, these aren't white letter sides. Also, the section and tread width of the size for my '96 (235R75X15) isn't the widest so they don't have the aggressive stance that some less expensive but less capable tires may have.
I'm actually a sports car driver by nature. I used to play around in go-karts and SCCA events. Some say my goal is to make the Ex drive it's my S2000. These tires tend to help me achive that goal.

Pabille-thank you for your response.I concur about the wet weather driveability of the Forterra Triple tread as the Assurance have proven themselves many times this past summer on the highway in the rain.Plus-it is interesting to note- the UTQG rating of the triple tread is less then the Forterra for a T speed rated tire(my size application at P265-70R16).Now that quietly translates to a softer tire-but this not a bad thing-especailly in the "great white north" :) And the Forterra Triple tread also carries the "snowflake symbol"- one of only two all weather tires I can find locally that do so. ( The other being the Nokian WR SUV tire- a product of Finland and the European leader in snow tire technology).That little symbol means it is "federally approved" for use as a snow tire.Again-this is important here in Canada.The plus side is that these Forterra triple tread tires would eliminate the need for dedicated winter rims & tires. The down side is- no white lettering on side walls. Curse my vanity :) (BTW- I emailed Goodyear HQ in Canada- no plans to introduce a white lettered Triple tread any time soon.)
Pabille- thanks again for sharing your info & experience with the triple treads- that's inforamtion I can use.

Back