Got a high-time 1996 Ranger; what do I need to do to it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got a high-time 1996 Ranger; what do I need to do to it?

kturnerga

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ranger XLT 4.0 Ext cab
I have a 1996 Ranger 4.0 Extended Cab. It has a estimated 200,000 miles on it (estimated because the odometer died some time back). I acquired it three years ago and have been working on it since. I drive it once every week or two.

I am happy with the truck and love the work I've done on it. Being that it's gotten 200K miles is there any more that I need to look out for?

Other than the normal maintenance I've done the following:

Power-sprayed the underside
Had the A-bracket replaced on one side
Replaced tie-rod and ends
Aligned front end twice
Painted frame with bed removed and painted drive shaft, axles and brake drums
Installed new stereo and rewired speakers
Had an induction cleaning
Replaced brake pads on front
Replaced fuel filter
Overhaul of transmission and replacement of shifter cable

What remains to be done:
Fix issue with steering slop
Paint exterior
Deal with timing chain rattle sounds (much later $$$)
Replace broken windshield

Again is there anything else to consider?

KT

Just keep changing the oil. It'll keep on going! I've got around 350,000 on my 4.0 Ranger, never any engine work. Timing chain issues are a sohc thing, shouldn't have any on the ohv.

Whew! That means instead of a timing chain issue it could be a rod/rocker at the worst. The noise sounds like a dull tapping. I thought it was coming from the rear bottom but I'll listen further. If so would Marvel Mystery Oil help lube the rockers or is that hooey?

I'm no expert, I'm just going by years of reading this forum.
Rocker or lifter issues seem kind of common in higher mileage engines, but nothing tends to self destruct like in the sohc timing chain.
I say try the additive, can't hurt.

Back