Got locked out of my EX this week.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got locked out of my EX this week....

We experienced more failures than successes with our keypad and were able to get it replaced under warranty. Took a couple of trips to the dealer but we did get it done. Have not had problems since. 2013 XLT built May 29, 2012. I think some of the keypads must be faulty. Ours worked very intermittently for unlocking, but ironically could nearly ALWAYS lock the car with the 8-9 combo. The keypad was a big deal for us as we had it on our previous vehicle and really like to use it when we scuba dive. Pretty sure those key-chips aren't waterproof!!
Good luck-
Toddy

It works to lock the door because usually you've just gotten out of the car in the past several minutes and the keypad or what ever device controls it hadn't gone into a complete state of hibernation. Once it's in this state, only the remote will unlock it. When its in this state, even the interior door lock switches do not work.

My dealership is 20 minute drive from my house. Having to go at all is inconvenient, but to have to go twice to get the job done right is going to be a complete pain in my ass.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an appointment to take my Ex in to be looked at on Friday. I also did an experiment to figure out how long it takes for the controllers to " go to sleep" and found it takes about 10 minutes. I told the dealer that as best I knew it took an hour, but tomorrow I'll call back and let them know it only takes about 10 minutes.

Can I charge my time spent troubleshooting back to Ford? I bill out at a rate of $100/hr. :)

I've experienced this to. It will lock, but at times will not unlock. I will sweep my finger down the keypad to get the panel to re-light and then try it a second or third time and it will work. Never tried a wet finger, but will on the next occasion that I have a problem.

I have an appointment to take my Ex in to be looked at on Friday...

Let us know what the verdict is from your dealership, MizzouMan_2000!

I've experienced this to. It will lock, but at times will not unlock. I will sweep my finger down the keypad to get the panel to re-light and then try it a second or third time and it will work. Never tried a wet finger, but will on the next occasion that I have a problem.

Dropping by the dealership might be a good next step, rmp301. Keep us in the loop.

Crystal

When I came back to my Ex, I tried to use the keypad to unlock, and it showed the same exact problem as described originally. The numbers would not light up to accept my input. The small LED at the very top would blink with each touch of the keypad, but it wouldn't unlock.

When I got home, I parked it in the garage like I normally do. I went back out about an hour or two later and touched the keypad. Nothing happened.

I have seen this before where it dimly lights but does not accept input , however it never does it anymore after I started doing the following:

Rather than just walking up to the vehicle and immediately trying to input your code, FIRST, swipe your finger down the pad from the top to the bottom (almost like swiping to unlock an iPhone), You should see all the numbers light up brightly as you swipe down.........If they do not, swipe down again.....once you do this first, THEN enter your code.

Iv'e never had any more problems with it since starting to do this "swipe" first.

I have seen this before where it dimly lights but does not accept input , however it never does it anymore after I started doing the following:

Rather than just walking up to the vehicle and immediately trying to input your code, FIRST, swipe your finger down the pad from the top to the bottom (almost like swiping to unlock an iPhone), You should see all the numbers light up brightly as you swipe down.........If they do not, swipe down again.....once you do this first, THEN enter your code.

Iv'e never had any more problems with it since starting to do this "swipe" first.

Tried that... Doesn't help

If I walk away and try after 5 minutes, it works as I expect. If i walk away and try after 10 minutes, then it's dead to the world. Keypad doesn't respond, dome lights don't come on when I open the door and the interior door lock buttons do not respond either.

Seeing is believing. :)
That is a strange one indeed. It almost appears as thought it is some kind of control module that is causing this since it seems to affect more than one item. It seems that there is always some new issue popping up. I guess with all the electronics onboard it is something that is bound to happen.
My dealership is about 15 miles away or 26 minutes travelling time. I chose this dealer over the one that is only 2 miles away because of its service reputation. So far I haven't been disappointed. If there is another dealer closer to you, you can always take your Explorer there.
Good luck and please keep us updated on the issue.

Peter

That is a strange one indeed. It almost appears as thought it is some kind of control module that is causing this since it seems to affect more than one item. It seems that there is always some new issue popping up. I guess with all the electronics onboard it is something that is bound to happen.
My dealership is about 15 miles away or 26 minutes travelling time. I chose this dealer over the one that is only 2 miles away because of its service reputation. So far I haven't been disappointed. If there is another dealer closer to you, you can always take your Explorer there.
Good luck and please keep us updated on the issue.

Peter

There is a slightly closer dealer, but they've pissed me off too many times... My wife took her escape there for an oil change. During their 20 point inspection they marked the tires as OK, but obviously didn't look at the inside tread because the escape needed an alignment and the inside tread was nearly bald. Plus they left my wife sitting for nearly an hour after her car was done and ready to go.

Just got called from the dealer. Internal failure of the body control module. The pisser about it is the new part can't come in until Wednesday, so that means another 20 minute drive to the dealer first thing Wednesday morning, then either take their shuttle to work or bum a ride from a coworker that lives on that side if the river.

Just got called from the dealer. Internal failure of the body control module. The pisser about it is the new part can't come in until Wednesday, so that means another 20 minute drive to the dealer first thing Wednesday morning, then either take their shuttle to work or bum a ride from a coworker that lives on that side if the river.
At least they found the problem and are able to repair it. Driving back and forth to dealerships comes with the territory. It is something all vehicle owners have to contend with.
I had to go through all that a few times when I was still working and I had the Highlander. Good luck.

Peter

Actually, it'll be Thursday before i can take it back... IF the party comes in on Wednesday. He didn't sound 100% sure it would be.

Actually, it'll be Thursday before i can take it back... IF the party comes in on Wednesday. He didn't sound 100% sure it would be.

Any updates MizzouMan_2000? Sorry you've had so many problems with this and I really hope they are able to get it fixed for you.
- Toddy

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, MizzouMan_2000! My offer to assist still stands - I'm happy to get this in the hands of your regional customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number) and I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, MizzouMan_2000! My offer to assist still stands - I'm happy to get this in the hands of your regional customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number) and I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Hopefully after this week, it won't be necessary.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After getting back from my home town very late last night, I decided to burn a vacation day today. The dealership called and said my new BCM arrived this morning, so I'm at the dealership now.

Back