Got some questions on my setup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got some questions on my setup

4x4explorer1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi guys i'm new here and i have a couple of questions. I've got a 94 ford explorer xlt and she just passed smog. Anyways pretty soon i'm going to get the James duff 5.5 lift with 33 and 15x8 rims should i get 4.10s or should i go with 4.56s. Also i feel like its guzling antifreeze quick. Thanks for your answers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site.

If you plan to use it off road, get 4.56's for 33's. 4.10 would be too high unless you just wanted to drive it around on flat ground.

If it's losing coolant check for leaks around the heads and block, also check for leaks around the radiator, hoses and hose clamps (including at the heater core inlet/outlet), water pump, and also check inside the passenger side floorboard to see if coolant is leaking onto the floor from the heater core. If it's none of these, check out the exhaust for a sweet smell or white/grey smoke during normal operation. If so the head gasket might be blown or the heads might be cracked and coolant is getting into the combustion chamber. Fix is new gaskets and/or new heads.

... If it's losing coolant check for leaks around the heads and block, also check for leaks around the radiator, hoses and hose clamps (including at the heater core inlet/outlet), water pump, and also check inside the passenger side floorboard to see if coolant is leaking onto the floor from the heater core. If it's none of these, ...
Check all the freeze plugs, too, particularly the left front block plug.
Two of our 3 Explorers have had that one rust out.
Weird how only that plug has gone bad.

Dang thanks for the quick reply's.And im pretty sure i will get 4.56s when i get the money but for now ill be running the stock gears. I've read that its alright but it just lags some. Also ive read that changing your distributor cap and spark plugs and wires is good for it and adds power. Is this true sorry guys im new. Also i found the leak and a little bit JB weld does the trick.

How alright it is depends on what the stock gears are. If it's 3.73's then it will be ok around town, but you'll be straining some drivetrain components if you run it hard with 33's like that off road. If the stock gears are 3.27's, don't even try putting 33's on there, it'll not only be slow and get horrible gas mileage, it'll really put a strain on the drivetrain, not to mention the motor and everything else behind it.

You're better off waiting for larger tires until you get the gears to go with them.

If you can find a distributor cap, you can try changing it. New plug wires and new Motorcraft platinum plugs are always a good idea, especially if the plugs are old. New plugs give a lot more power and torque. Don't use other gimmicky plugs or waste money on gimmicky wires. The stock coil pack is really good, no need for a new one unless the old one is going bad or you just feel like spending money.

I just checked my gears and i have 41-3.27 non- limited slip so looks like im gearing before 33s. Does anyone know how much it cost for gears and get them installed.:(

Also im looking at some gears from www.ringpinion.com (yukon) and when i type in my make, year and model for my front axle 4wd it says AMC Model 35 reverse IFS front for my differential is this the right one ????

Front is a reverse-cut Dana 35, Rear is a Ford 8.8 inch.

Gears are usually at least a few hundred dollars, both to buy and have installed.

If you want to save dough you can buy used gears and/or just buy an entire front and/or rear axle with the gears you want from someone who's either parting out their ride or going to a different setup.

just ordered gears 4.56s front and rear and lifetime warranty and both bearing install kit. Hopefully get them this upcoming week. :)

Also im looking at some gears from www.ringpinion.com (yukon) and when i type in my make, year and model for my front axle 4wd it says AMC Model 35 reverse IFS front for my differential is this the right one ????

I never understood why Randy's (Yukon) does this crap. All it does is confuse everybody (yeah it's the right one).

AMC might've had the original design sheets for the axle, however Dana Corporation has manufactured the axle solely under their own name since '85 (?) Certainly no later than '86 when AMC was put to rest by Chrysler. Randy's is the only one I know calling it that. Everyone else calls it what it is.

Agreed on 4.56 for 33s. You'll be quite happy with them (especially with being used to 3.27s and any size tires). :thumbsup:

Back