• Register Today It's free!

got the kkm on...

mikeresin

Reaction score
City, State
san rafael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 sport, 90gt
well it came on friday. i put it on sunday night. only took me about 20 mins. not too bad. i like it. i can definantly feel the difference. not so much in throttle response but i can feel an hp gain. it sounds mean as hell too. it just adds to my flows. makes the exhuast sound a tiny bit deeper. but what i like is when i stomp it i can hear it sucking up all the air. its loud as hell inside the car.
the only think thats a little strange to me is that it howls. on a hot day. even when its just idleing. it howls. but thats ok i guess.:) so i think it was a well worth $100

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Howling.......

i think there is a hose that you are supposed to plug. that might cause the howling if you leave it open.....

did you remember to reset the computer?

Keep us posted on mpg gains. I always am up for better mileage.

mpg gains

I installed mine a tank of gas ago.. on a normal day during these hot times I'm lucky to see 200 miles in a tank with this 5.0.. I put my filter on and like the sound/midrange rpm pull so much I went rather heavy on the throttle for that tank..much to my suprise.. I got 250 miles on 3/4 of a tank (I like to refill at 1/4.. I don wanna get stranded :p) I like it.. definatley worth it I'd say

as for the mpg gains i havnt noticed anything. to be honest i havnt been paying attention.
and the only hose there is is the engine oil air hose. wich is on.
im not sure exactly what the howling is, but it doesnt bother me that much. i have my music up most of the time anyway.

Happy with a KKN

I just recently added a KKN to my 1994 XLT and it is great. Sounds AWSOM and may have added a little power. It is especially good for highway passing.

MPG gains have been few and far between. The jury is still out whether this is due to a lack of help from the KKN or a newly acquired led foot. My guess is the later, but it just sounds so good if you get on the gas.

Could the "lack of mpg gains" be due to more aggressive driving? The sound is definately a more powerful one and maybe the one keeps the foot in it a little more negating any mileage increase.

Thoughts?

yeh it makes sense to me. i havnt noticed anything. i also dont drive my car that much other then work and school seing as how i have a restricted lisence.

why did you get a resticted license? no insurance or too many tickets?

3 speeding tickets and an accident in 12 months. =/
i know it sounds bad but the accident wasnt my fault. someone cut me off and slammed on their brakes.
the speeding tickets were my fault though.
45 in a 30
75 in a 55 on the bridge while under construction
another 45 in a 30.

With the added led foot from the KKN, I hate to think what will happen when I add a Flowmaster. It's a good thing gas prices are falling.

PS - You should move to Phoenix. It is rare that anyone goes under 75 in a 55. I guess that's why our insurance is OUTRAGOUS!!

I currently have a stock air box in which i cut out some of the side pieces for more flow. What does this sound like compared to this? Also, do you gain much more power when going from my setup to the KKM? Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

I can't speak to the difference between the two setups, but the KKN sounds like a different, more aggresive truck. The additional power at the low end is slight, but you notice the difference when passing.

Check the IAC valve.

That howling seems to be a problem on Explorers. CHeck your IAC valve and see if it's dirty or clogged. If it is, try some carb cleaner or buy a new one. You may have to clean it for now, since there is a national backorder on this part. Mine also howled at idle, and the new IAC cured it.

For those of you who have the KKM or K&N FIPK setups and are wondering what to do next think about going to a larger throttle body, I know BBK makes them in 63 and 66mm flavors. I have the 66 on my 92 and it really helped in the upper RPM range (4000-6000) however some have reported that it causes the engine to bog when mashing the throttle off the line, since I have a 3.08 rear end there isnt much short of a V8 that is going to help my offtheline throttle response but there is noticable difference in my 60-80 passing ability compared to my stock 93 with 3.73s. Of course other fun things include a transmission that will let the engine rev out and give you good firm shift (autos) my 93 seems to like to shift right around 4000rpm no matter how hard I'm on the throttle, my 92 wasnt much better till I had the trans gone over and now it does full throttle upshifts at about 6000rpm. Before anyone gets into the high rpm world they should think about the cam and the valve train. The stock OHV valve train is good for what it was intended for but doesnt do to well being red lined on a daily basis. None of the aboved mentioned things is going to give you blazing car like performance but it will make for a vehicle that is a little more fun to drive.

Originally posted by TDG
I have the 66 on my 92 and it really helped in the upper RPM range (4000-6000)....

ok, how does everyone drive to 6000 rpm or higher???

my 92 redlines at 4900 rpm....

is my explorer different than everyone else's?

The red line on my tach is at 4900 too. The redline usually represents the point where you begin to get a lot of valve train harmonics not where the engine is going to blow up. With enough valve train work you can push the redline higher and then you are limited by what your cam, computer, rods, crank, and pistons can handle. I dont go around making regular 6000rpm blasts with my engine but it is nice to have that extra range there. The SOHC engines have a higher redline because they dont have a lot of the valve train parts that the OHVs have thus they can rev higher without having valve train harmonic problems. The downside to having a stout valve train that can handle high RPMs is more wear from the higher pressures exerted on the cam, lifters, rockers and pushrods, that combined with the price combined with the fact that most people dont rev the snot out of their engines is one of the reasons the redlines are low from the factory.

I can’t say I’ve ever had any trouble getting to 6000 rpm in my ’94.

Talking about different shift points, would you recommend a chip. It seems as though there is a lot of debate about their effectiveness

Any thoughts or experiences?

Redline.

Unless you have a chip that changes the redline and shift points, it's usually pretty safe to rev it up. Car manufacturers are always very conservative when it comes to engine mapping (hence the big chip market). The rev limiter always kicks in way before damage can be done due to over-revving. Even chipped cars are usually pretty safe from damage due to over-revving. Manuals are a bit different, since it's up to the person's brain to decide. Some decide worse than others (like downshift from 5th to 2nd (instead of 4th) when on the interstate, I know someone that did this...).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

doc what happened? the engine just go?

Back