Great Dealer, Great Rebates, Great Delivery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Great Dealer, Great Rebates, Great Delivery

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
So I'll add my story to the list for no other reason than to show that things can happen exactly as you want them to.

I wasn't in a hurry for my new XLT. My '02 was and is running just fine. I own it, it has no major issues, but it was getting time. Pulling a 2,500 enclosed trailer was a pain, and while I fixed the rear diff howl with a replacement, it is just a matter of time til a major repair comes along. So last summer I began looking.

I have a friend who runs a dealership, and I am eligible for X plan, so I wasn't worried about haggling. I was more interested in specs. I wanted at least 4,500 of tow capacity, 4wd, the comfort of my existing '02, etc. I decided I'd take a look at a new Explorer and then order.

Took a look at the Detroit Auto Show, liked what I saw, and called and placed the order. I said I wasn't in a rush, and since they aren't a big dealer, they don't get quite the priority. But I ordered exactly what I wanted - an '11 XLT, 4WD, 202A, Trailer Tow.

I ordered the last week of January, and it was built the week of April 25. Amazingly with all the transit issues - it showed up at the dealer's door on May 5. They prepped it on the 6th and arranged financing for me (excellent rate and I didn't have to lift a finger or deal with a bank).

I walked into the dealership yesterday morning at 9:45, waited about 15 minutes while the business manager helped another customer, and was out the door with my '11 by 10:15. In the morning. Yep, that's right - it took 15 minutes to deliver the vehicle, and that included 5 minutes of friendly BS. :D

Yep - took 14 weeks to deliver. As I said - I wasn't in a hurry. That helped a lot. Along the way I scored the following discounts:
Loyalty Discount for $1,500 off a new Explorer. "Program # 32358"
$1,000 Promotional Bonus Cash (PGM #11866)
Brochure discount - $750 CERTIFICATE
$500 Auto Show Bonus Cash (PGM #11894)

The $1,000 promo cash and $750 brochure discounts were a direct result of reading this forum. Thanks! (How could I not kick in my bucks to the site for Elite status after all I've received?)

I did ask the business manager why it took 14 weeks to deliver when the normal time is 8 - 10. He said it was an allocation thing, plus a priority thing. I did tell them I was in no hurry. I'm happy I did wait a while as the MFT issues seem to be largely resolved with v2.8.

I've been really pleased with the vehicle so far. I have some MFT issues to sort out. I normally steer away from all the electronics of MFT, but my friend told me what a marvel it was and that while there were still some kinks they were working out, I'd love it. So far, I do. It's an amazing piece of gadgetry. The cell connection is amazing. I have an iPhone 3GS and my friends tell me the call quality is excellent. I'm hoping that over the long term I will like it as much as I do today.

There are a two little issues to resolve - both involving MFT. The VIN won't fully recognize, and the Sirius channels are out of whack on voice select since the channel lineup changed last week, but both of those should be easily fixed.

So that's it. If you have the time to wait, and choose a great dealership with ethical owners, it makes the deal a lot easier. And while he didn't ask me to - I would highly recommend if you are looking for a great dealership, give Ridenour Auto Group in New Lexington, Ohio a call. They are a small town dealer and off the beaten path, but they are a great group of people who won't jerk you around.

Oh - and if you do contact them, don't jerk them around either. No dealer needs to have people try to squeeze every last cent out of the deal. They need to make a fair buck. It's how they stay in business, and how they can not try to hit you up for rust proofing/paint protecting/etc. and turn a 10 minute delivery process into 3 or 4 hours.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi! That is great! I've been trying to read about this, new to this forum...but how did you get the 750 brochure and 500 auto show discount? I tried ordering an EX brochure, but it didn't have the 750 on it. Thanks SO much for your help!

Hi! That is great! I've been trying to read about this, new to this forum...but how did you get the 750 brochure and 500 auto show discount? I tried ordering an EX brochure, but it didn't have the 750 on it. Thanks SO much for your help!

Keep calling and ordering a brochure. Next time choose a mustang brochure. Your odds are increased by ordering more. It does not have to be an Explorer brochure. It's a random computer thing.

Glade your deal went so smooth. Although I am uptight about waiting, I too have a great dealership to deal with. My wife's car took the 15 minutes you spoke about and all paperwork was done at the sales persons desk by the sales person.

Rebates and promotions change over time.

When I ordered my brochure online, I indicated I was going to purchase within 30 days. That may be a trigger. I received an email a few days later with the discount code.

As for the Auto Show discount - that was for the Columbus Ohio show. I saw an ad on TV and then looked at the incentives page on the Ford website using my zip code. It gave me the program number for the auto show discount.

There are some programs and discounts that are ineligible to be combined. When I got a new one, I made sure I sent it to the Dealer so they could enter it in the system to see how they worked.

If you read Seni's (FordCustServ) posts, she has said that if there is an eligible program during your order period, your dealer can lock them in for you. I thought about waiting until the 2012's came out to buy, but I would have lost the discounts and rebates I have and would have to take what was then available. Given the amount that I had, I decided to go ahead with the purchase.

Back