Grill Guard Poll | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grill Guard Poll

Grill Guard Color

• Get it powder coated. Gloss Black will look good.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • E-Coat and paint yourself, Gloss Black will look odd.

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

Lifted95X

The Xplorer U Luv to H8
Reaction score
City, State
EASTPOINTE, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.6 Mounty
Grill Guard Color Poll

Ok guys, I just bought Michiganders Grill Guard off of him, and, it being used, had some small rust spots, so, I have 2 options that I want your opinions on.

I possibly have the opportunity to get it chemical stripped and powdercoated for FREE, which will strip it of all paint and rust. Now after that is where I need your help.

Option #1 - I get it powder coated for FREE . The only color I can get it power coated is gloss black, but, powder coating is very durable.

Option #2 - I can get it "E-coated" which is a metal protective dip and paint it flat black, or with spray on bedliner. The paint in this method is more probable to chip.

I mainly what to know what you think would look better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

powercoat it and forget about it, that simple man

you don't think a gloss GG will look wierd? That's all I am afraid of.

Originally posted by SSIKORA
you don't think a gloss GG will look wierd? That's all I am afraid of.
I do. IMO, it will look like a street X that never goes off-road. Too Shiny.

Robb

Do the powdercoat, it lasts longer, and when you do want your EX to be shiny it'll look sooo much better. If the only way people think you go offroading is cause your grill guard isn't shiny, you really aren't going offroading then.

Why don't you Herc it? It's inevitably gonna get scratched. That's what it's there for.

Originally posted by Klowns
If the only way people think you go offroading is cause your grill guard isn't shiny, you really aren't going offroading then.

Very True.

Originally posted by Jason_25
Why don't you Herc it? It's inevitably gonna get scratched. That's what it's there for.

Do you think Herc will stick over top of Powder Coat if I decide to go that route?

I talked about Herc already, the fiance today learned of the Herc on the Hootus.

Well I wil say this. My old brushguard was powdercoated and began to get scratched up. So I scratched it up some more with sandpaper and applied the Herc. It never tried to come off. Herc does need to have kind of a rough surface to stick to. It's very shiny when you first apply it but it tends to fade when exposed to sunlight. But you can buy a UV protectant for it.

So far I am thinking the Powder coat then. If I don't like it, then I can always do the Herc to it.

Originally posted by Jason_25

I herculined mine. I picked up my grill guard used and the guy had had it sitting in his backyard for about 6 months. It was rusty and faded (the original powdercoat that is). I was going to sand blast it and have it powdercoated, but that was going to cost me as much as a new grill guard. So I sanded as much of the loose rust off as I could and then sprayed it with the stuff that turns rust into a paintable surface.

Then I put auto paint primer on it (two coats), two coats of black zinc krylon, and then sanded it a bit to rough up the surface and put two coats of herculiner on it.

It's lost the glossy lok that it originally had when first applied, but it has not chipped and has faired well with a Chicago Winter so far (lots of road salt and grime).

So...to make a long story short :D I would just rough it up spray the rust with some rust stopper stuff, prime it, and herculine it.

Here is another vote for the powder coat. I was a little worried about the gloss black look too........until I got the guard installed. It looks great on my X. My explorer color is that standard 99 gold, but that gloss black goes great with it. It matches up to my dark tinted windows, and all the black trim around the wheels and windows. The finish is very durable.
Just my opinion.
Ken
Also: Maybe I'm missing the big picture here, but......I would not want my guard a flat color. That would look too weird against that nice shiny waxed paint job. Now, I would understand it if the finish looks 20 years old, faded and chipped out. But if your paint looks shiny and good, I don't think a large, dull bar would look good against it. I had the same thoughts about dull vs shiny until I installed it...no longer a doubt! Again, just my opinion for my vehicle. Good luck.....especially if you get all that done for free!!!

:D I don't wash my vehicle to often (it always rains after), and it is almost ten years old. I like it with the "rustic" look. Adds to the "intimidation factor" :)

Though I didn't take that into account. When it comes down to it, it's what do you think should be done.

Dave

BTTT for the morning crowd. I think I know what I am doing, but a few more opinions never hurt.

Go with the Powder coat. I have gloss Black on my Ramsey winch guard and it looks great. I don't like Herculiner, because it oxidizes and turns milkish, (at least the people that I have seen herc their grill guards), I also don't like the texture of herc.

Thanks for the opinion Ray...it is out getting chemical stripped, and powdercoated for free as we speak. I will get some new pics once it gets mounted(hopefully this weekend).

Back