• Register Today It's free!

Grinding a tooth on the ring gear

KPSquared

Reaction score
City, State
Wetaskiwin, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
I am in the middle of my gear swap on my 8.8. I am going to have to grind down a tooth on the ring gear to get the cross pin back in.

I just want to make sure I have all my ideas right in my head before I do this...

I should probably get everything set up before I grind down the tooth, correct?

Like if I grind the tooth and the run out is off and I have to rotate the ring gear on the carrier, the notch will be in the wrong spot.

This all makes sense to me, I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Torque the ring gear onto the carrier, install, tighten everything. Check back lash, runout, and pattern... Adjust, check, adjust, check, etc... once it's all perfect, reinstall everything but notch the ring gear at this time. I shouldn't need to notch it prior to this...

I know this sounds like a lot of babble but I am just a little nervous about my first gear change...

Sounds about right take you time and be very meticulous and everything should be fine. If you can check the pinion depth to start it will greatly decrease the time to install the gears.

Edit: Be sure you understand all the specs and have read through plenty of material. The more you understand about the process the easier things will be.

Back