• Register Today It's free!

Grinding/dull roar when stopping

arl37

Reaction score
City, State
san diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eddie bauer
My 99 Eddie Bauer has 104k miles. It is excellent condition. New brakes and rotors. Wheel bearing have been checked. Tires are in excellent shape. p255/70r-16 Discount tire Pathfinder Sport suv. New shocks and alignment has been checked and all is within specs. Rear end was rebuilt about 9 months ago. LLeaks no oil but burns a couple of quarts between oil changes. No unusual road noise at Highway speeds. ( There was before I rebuilt the rear end.)

Six to 9 months ago I noticed that when I slow down to stop or when I start up there is a dull roar ( like a bad wheel bearing or something wrong with the transmission) that comes from the front end. It goes away as I speed up and disappears around 20 mph. It reoccurs when I slow down, whether or not I apply the brakes. For the last six months I just for got about it and assumed it was tire noise. Last weekend I drove a friends 99. Same car V-8 and all and he had the same dulll roar. He thought it was a common problem with older explorers but didnt have any reasons. Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

You sure your wheel bearings are okay? Sounds like a hub/bearing issue.

Back