joachimf

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne, Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Dear @all,

now that I am going through our '02 I like to find out/repair this one:

It is a 2002 XLS 4.0 (245 cui) M/T 2WD/RWD Explorer. Tranny is a Mazda 5-spd, 80Kmls.

The truck makes grinding noises coming from the rear above 40mph. Makes no change to shift gears or press clutch. Tires are 10kmls old, changed them from front to rear, no change of the noise. Truck has made these noises at least for the last 30Kmls.

Lifted each wheel and turned it manually. All wheels turn easily and soft, the only thing you hear is the sliding brake pad. No rumbly feeling.

My first idea was the wheel bearings, but normally you can feel bad bearings when you turn wheels manually. So it may be something else??

Could be Rear axle concern, pinion or carrier bearings are very common. Sometimes the carrier bearings spin in the aluminum housing.

@swetrid

thank you for the hint. Would you be so kind to tell me the TSB #, I do not have access to OASIS at the moment.

What is the fix, rebuilding the 3rd member complete?

Jo

Dear @all,

went recently through the 'Corvette America' catalog and found complete differential for C3 Corvette is around $ 995 outright.

Before I now order an overhaul kit for the '02 wouldn't be easier to swap the whole differential?

Are there companies in the US who offer complete differentials for the Explorer?

Thank you for your help!!!

Back