• Register Today It's free!

grinding while in 1st and 2nd

xplorernewb

Reaction score
City, State
washington state
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ford explorer sport
so im having a bit of a clutch problem. it grinds when my foot is on the clutch, while it being in 1st or 2nd, usually downshifting coming to a stop.

the master cylinder had been leaking at the top of the hose connected to the res so i put a clamp on it and it worked, and bled the system. i also fixed the shifter bushing today and it shifts SO much better. almost like brand new gears again, but its still grinding. it seems like its fully disengaging, it catches near 3/4 to the top of the pedal, shifts nice and smooth even half way.

it doesnt do it every time though.. im going to try replacing the fluid in the transmission, but if that doesnt work, what else could it be?? i can also hear a lot of bubbling in there but i have the boot removed for the moment.. it bubbles a lot more when it starts grinding, and goes away as soon as i pump the clutch or throw it in neutral. it does this when its cold and hot. :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one thing thats got me worried is i dropped a small socket trying to reach the bleeder valve and it ended up dropping into the area where the bleeder valve is and havent seen it since.... know where it could be now or where it would end up? ive tried a magnet but didnt work. ugh

It sounds like you have wearing syncros. Learn how to match rev's and the tranny will live a long life, continue to grind gears and you better start looking for another.

well i just checked the level of the fluid and as soon as i loosened the fill plug, about a half quart came. i drove it around the block and it grinded a couple times but i slammed on the breaks real good and heard something clank and it hasnt done it since.. im gonna drive it a bit more to see if it happens again, but change fluids tomorrow anyways since its kind of dark, but not too bad...

Sounds like synchronizers going out..i use 2 qts of straight 30wt motor oil and rest atf..atf is just too thin..the 30wt is thin also but sticks to the gears and synhros but still thin enough with atf to sling everywhere..my buddy owns a trans shop and suggested this

You keep sgifting with bad synchronize and your mess the teeth up on the gears..big difference in just replacing brass and bearing than replacing gears also..gears are not cheap

interesting, thanks for the info.

so basically after i drained some ATF out i took it for a drive about 3 miles to the store and back on some slow roads downshifting and upshifting high and low revs, no grinding.. before i drained some out, it would start grinding as soon as i left my driveway.. i read in automatic transmissions that the atf can foam up and cause them to slip if added too much.. could too much ATF cause the gears in the 5 speed make grinding sounds, like its just not engaging gears properly until i re-engage it by clutching?maybe because it cleared the foam away long enough for it to engage?? i also noticed the bubbling went away completely.. all i hear now is road and engine noise. maybe that was it?? F*** i hope so

I doubt it was the problem. What gears are grinding? If its just second, simply double clutch up shifts, and rev match downshifts.

if it were the synchros, wouldnt it happen all the time? or grind/clunk when i put it into gear? it goes in and out of gear perfectly in all gears, and now that i think of it, it was more of a huge vibration... when in 1st or 2nd. like if i go from reverse to 1st - apply the clutch, from reverse (backing up) shift to first, let off the clutch and apply gass. maybe 5-10 feet after i start moving is when the vibration starts and stops as soon as i take it out of gear. same when i go from 2nd to 1st but never 1st to 2nd because it stops when i hit the clutch to change to 2nd.. if that makes sense... i dont know, it quit bubbling and quit doing it as soon as i drained some of the fluid... kinda odd

turns out it was just the hose going to the res. fixed it and bled the system and all is good again :)

took care of most of the clunk when the clutch engages as well

Back