Gross Gas Leak [ code P0455]

mulea

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, CAN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
Hi, people!
Quite a while ago I experienced a pretty strange malfunction: after I got a tight exit with ~60km/h I got the CHECK ENGINE on. I scanned the engine of the Explorer sport 1999 that I have and I found out that the trouble code was
P0455 = Gross gas Leak

I've reseted the code and everything was fine [I have to say that under the car I NEVER NOTICED a leak of ANY KIND!...] till the moment I took another tight exit; CHECK ENGINE was on again and the code reader indicated the same P0455.
I went to a garage and the mechanic said me that the GAS TANK CAp is not sealed completely, so that's why I have no-pressurized gas tank, so that's why that CHECK ENGINE on my dashbord.
The conclusion was besides the tank cap I [he] have to change also the plastic end of the gas tank neck [that part where you insert the gas pump nozzle when you do the refill]. The only problem is that mechanic is asking for about ~$230 to do this job... Is it the right amount for these money???

On the other hand, can I do it myself? [after all are just two plastic parts to be replaced...!]. If YES!, will someone be so kind to indicate me HOW, please??? [for the gas tank cap, it's easy: it's just about to unscrew/screw a metal part and to detach/attach the new cap...]

THANK YOU!

Have you tried putting a new cap on? I'd try that before replacing the filler neck .

Back