Ground fault in Power distrib box 99 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ground fault in Power distrib box 99 Explorer

FloydFlaymes

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer 4.0L XLT
Chasing a "cranks but won't start" problem, I think I found a short to ground between the fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay.
The relay is fine and I get spark when cranking. The pump doesn't whir. I did not check pressure or fuel filter. Want to tackle the shorts first.
With the key off, battery connected, and fuse removed, I measure full battery voltage across the fuse terminals when I replace the fuse with my volt meter leads. There are actually a total of 7 fuses that have at least a few volts across the terminals.
With the positive battery cable disconnected, I measure 244 mA between the positive battery terminal and the cable clamp.
Also, with the battery disconnected, fuse removed, and relay removed, I get continuity with ground at the negative fuse socket and the fuel pump relay open position terminal that shouldn't be connected to anything at all (so I am guessing).
This is my first big electrical safari, so I have lots of questions.
What do I do next? Pull the power distribution box and try replacing wires?
Replace box?
Is there any chance the fuel pump is still OK? Replacing that pump is the last thing I want to do.
Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[MENTION=3335]NICEFORDF100[/MENTION] may have come across something like this. He's our resident wiring guru :D

BTW, I moved your thread to our Stock 1995 - 2001 subforum.

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Did the fuel pump fuse blow? If it didn't blow, you simply have a bad pump.
With a fuse out, you should measure battery voltage across the terminals.
The slight current draw you see at the battery is the security system and body control module. Once the truck goes into sleep mode the body control module will shut down and it will drop even more.

Check fuel pressure, if there's none you most likely have a bad pump.

So I’m having similar issues. I replaced the fuel pump. When I turn the keys on I never hear the pump sound. So I pulled fuses and checked bolts in the fuse plug in and sometimes I have bolts going to them, sometimes not. I know that it is my power distribution box at this point. How is the replacement for all of that? And how much am I looking to spend on the new distribution box?

@J_C May be able to help
With the wiring diagrams he has helped me in the past

Dukish I replied to your message with a link, same as in my sig.

If you're willing to do a bit of hunting in junkyards, a used power distribution box shouldn't be very expensive. My local pick'n'pull junkyard lists large relay/fuse boxes at $22. I'd try to find one from a vehicle that didn't have the hood left open or at least was facing away, shaded from mid-day sun so the sun didn't turn the plastic brittle.

Just make sure to get as much of the wiring harness to it as possible (cut the wires long) to make soldering/crimping it all up, easier. There might also be some on ebay, just pay close attention to the layout as there are some differences among 2nd gen. Explorers and with Rangers.

On ebay If you can't get the part # for yours (might be on it somewhere?) or see the box open to compare to yours, I'd pass on it and get one that you can be sure is right.

I'd hate to think what one of those costs new from a Ford Dealer, probably a few hundred dollars.

Back