• Register Today It's free!

Growling front end

ThatGuy1982

Reaction score
City, State
Quaker City
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I have a 95 ex and it has a growling in the front end... I have replaced both wheel bearings thinking that was it but still there... I tried making a video to hear the sound... If you listen close and replay the video a few times you can hear the pulsing sound.... The 4x4 still works great no slipping or jumping... The axles are also newer... It's not the brakes.... Could it be a bearing in the front differential or the gears worn out? I have had it to a transmission shop and they couldn't tell me what it was without taking it apart... I can't afford that... It runs smooth down the road you can feel the pulsing in the peddles and some in the steering... I'm at a loss... I've had everything apart but the differential.... And I've checked the fluid in the front differential and it's fine.... Any ideas??Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGZH6j8QvjM

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just put new tires on this week and still there...

Yes.. I had it on the lift at the trans shop and still loud as ever...

I can only guess . . .

The pulsing in the peddles and steering make me think it is related to the brakes. . . .but you say no. Warped rotors can cause it.

Im surprised that even with it up on a lift you could not tell where the noise was coming from. Was the vehicle running and in drive while you were listening ?

Sounds like tires to me :-/

No defiantly not the tires.. Its a metal sound... I'm going to tear the front differential out tomorrow...

Please, please, please post your findings because my 2000 is doing the same thing after new wheel bearings upper & lower ball joints etc.

I know it sounds crazy, but this happened to me and it was the tires. (and they looked fine)
Yeah, that's where I'm at, on my other post. I've still got good tread on the tires, but I think that's my next stop.

Just saying . . . . I had this problem, and I changed the ball joints, axles, bearings, drive shaft, shocks, sway bar bushings, brakes.....everything. The tires looked good so I didn't suspect them.

Not only were the tires the problem, the tire shop detected that TWO of my wheels were bent. It wasn't visable, but they were bent just enough to cause the tires to wear funny......and cause the noise.

I'm not saying that this is your problem, I'm only pointing out that these types of problems can be a real pain to solve.

Just saying . . . . I had this problem, and I changed the ball joints, axles, bearings, drive shaft, shocks, sway bar bushings, brakes.....everything. The tires looked good so I didn't suspect them.

Not only were the tires the problem, the tire shop detected that TWO of my wheels were bent. It wasn't visable, but they were bent just enough to cause the tires to wear funny......and cause the noise.

I'm not saying that this is your problem, I'm only pointing out that these types of problems can be a real pain to solve.
Precisely. I just got a good deal on a 00, knowing I had some ft end noises to correct. Solved all, except this annoying rotating noise... which leads me to your suggestion... tires.

i got the front end out... wasnt to bad of a job.... I'm tearing into the differential tomorrow to see that's wrong i will post pictures when i figure it out...

Took mine in for a front end alignement, I had noticed that it was roughing up the inside edges of the front tires. Turns out camber was way off and it was slightly toed out. Seems to have helped the noises considerably. I think the Explorer front end tends to telegraph noise more than most cars.

i got the front end out... wasnt to bad of a job.... I'm tearing into the differential tomorrow to see that's wrong i will post pictures when i figure it out...
And ? ... and ? .... (waiting for the prognosis .. )

it was the whole diff that was bad.. gears and bearings.. i got one from a junk yard and its as quiet as a new one... sorry for the delay in responding....

it was the whole diff that was bad.. gears and bearings.. i got one from a junk yard and its as quiet as a new one... sorry for the delay in responding....
Thanks for the info... I'm afraid this may be my problem as well. Ugh...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back