Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT 4x4
2003 XLT 4 Door 4x4
4.0L V6 Flex

Work to date:
New Rear Pinion Seal
New Brakes @ all 4 corners.
Purchased Full set of Dueler REVO2 tires.

Issue: (Started Saturday 10/31/09)
When driving around I hear a growling noise and can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel, through the gas pedal, and through the floor board. From 0-30 the noise is fairly loud. The faster I go the noise diminishes/is taken over by road noise. I have only had the tires on this truck for a month with just over 1800 miles on them. I had taken the truck back to the tire shop 2 days after I started hearing the noise. All 4 tires were out of balance by an ounce or more. 1 Tire was 1 ounce over balance on the outside and a 1/2 ounce under balance on the inside.

They did an inspection of the vehicle and my alignment is good, lower ball joints are starting to show a little play. Nothing significant, the tech even said they would last another year or so. The boots still look almost new. I had them balance and rotate the tires and the noise is still there.

I have checked U joints, CV joints, front and rear wheel bearings and have no play or noise. Tires spin freely. I even took the brakes off and remounted the tire on each corner and spun with no noise. It also can not be heard outside the truck.

I guess I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what this may be. I am going up today to get the tires replaced. My initial thought was that the tires were not balanced properly to begin with and are now wearing funky. Any and all ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Both times I have had growling, it has been rear wheel bearings. They also showed no play and spun freely. Yes, I have changed them twice but I have 290,000 miles on it.
The first time I also thought it was the tires but after replacing them I still had the noise.
I could tell that the noise was in the rear. When the front bearing went out, there was no noise but there was play.

Thanks for the tip! I will recheck the rear bearings and as cheap a fix as that is, and the fact I have 84k miles, I may go ahead and replace them. I would rather not fight the tire shop getting the tires replaced if it is being caused by something else.

I had the same problem with the growling and being that you can feel it in the steering means it's more likely the front wheel bearings. It has been said that when driving and you turn to the left and the noise gets louder, that it's the right wheel bearing. Well I have found that not true. I replaced the right one and the noise was still there, then replaced the left one and the noise is gone. Best advice, replace both while you are at it;) Look around and you should find some good prices. Here is where I got mine, they are cheap but so far so good;)
http://ford-car-parts.macautoparts.net/Wheel-Hub-Bearings-5897.aspx

Back