Road Tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Road Tires

BlackOut33

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hey Guys!

Hows it going I got a brand new set of tires Pirelli ATR Scorpion mechanic told me best ones out there that he likes and has very less road noise.

I have a question tires are properly installed inflated at the right PSI level balanced with stick on adhesive weights balanced out at 0 so that means perfect..

He checked for tire play tire is on all 4 rock solid... When im driving I hear a bit of road noise it doesnt sound like a bearing or anything but im just curious are all explorers noisy with ROAD NOISE or am I losing my marbles?

P.S. Everything has been checked and everything is on rock solid.

Front & Rear Differential FLUIDS
Brand new Rear PADS & ROTARS Premium MONROE

Vehicle has been really well maintened

Any ideas let me know?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Guys!

Hows it going I got a brand new set of tires Pirelli ATR Scorpion mechanic told me best ones out there that he likes and has very less road noise.

He checked for tire play tire is on all 4 rock solid... When im driving I hear a bit of road noise it doesnt sound like a bearing or anything but im just curious are all explorers noisy with ROAD NOISE or am I losing my marbles?

Brand new Rear PADS & ROTARS Premium MONROE

?

I'm no tire expert here, but if the noise you hear is coming from all 4 corners of the vehicle and it wasn't there before you installed the 4 new tires, then I'd say it is the new tires causing this noise you now hear. I'm assuming the "ATR" in the name of the tire stands for "All Terrain Radial", so it could have a some what radical tread for all surface types, snow, mud, rocks/offroading etc. and that could be the source for the noise, the type of tread pattern that is. If the noise is coming from only one corner of the vehicle, then I would look at problems in the wheel assembly area for that tire/wheel. BTW, don't believe everything some mechanic tells you, especially if it is about a type of tire his shop sells. They of course would push their brand name tire sold at their shop and tell you how great they are. You would be better off getting a tire recommendation from other tire consumers/vehicle owners like the people in here, than from some mechanic. BTW, I didn't know Pirelli made a SUV tire till now. Thought they just made car tires.
Now for the "Monroe" rear pads and rotors question. How much did the Monroe Muffler and Brake Shop soak you $$$$$ for the rear brake pad and rotor job and did they try and tell you that your Explorer needed some kind of other repair after they did their inspection of your vehicle? Just curious here because there has been many a horror story on questionable parts repairs and outrageous prices coming out of places like Monroe or Midas for years.

Hey buddy I had Michelin LTX M/S Tires before and it was way louder then these tires but anyways ya they make Pirelli ATR Scorpion tires now. I Had pirelli's on my other vehicle which is just a car and they are super quiet... The noise sounds like all 4 corners the rims are good no bent lip or anything.

Monroe PADS & Rotars were done at a different mechanic shop and I requested them. Ive only used MONROE PADS & Rotars ever since I had my own car. Love them they are great.

So you think its probably normal then eh?

If it was BEARINGS it would be a LOUD HUMM or tire play but theres nothing at all in sight.

Thanks for replying back buddy

Vehicle drives perfectly straight no issues.

Drive train

My 02 has been less then good from the time I got it with only 34,000 miles on it. That said I have replaced both front hubs and both rear wheel bearings
Each of these items improved the drive train but it is still not the best I have had.

... The noise sounds like all 4 corners the rims are good no bent lip or anything.

Monroe PADS & Rotars were done at a different mechanic shop and I requested them. Ive only used MONROE PADS & Rotars ever since I had my own car. Love them they are great.

So you think its probably normal then eh?

If it was BEARINGS it would be a LOUD HUMM or tire play but theres nothing at all in sight.

Vehicle drives perfectly straight no issues.

I think what you are hearing is just a difference in sound from the old Michelin tires, to the new Pirelli tires, that is all. Since the noise is coming from all 4 tires/corners and you just started to notice the sound difference after switching tire brands, that would most likely be the source of the noise. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you and you probably won't ever find a "totally quiet" tire out there. The amount of sound proofing that a vehicle has built into it has a lot to do with how much road noise you will hear from your tires.
On the Monroe question I asked, "gotcha", your mechanic just ordered the parts from Monroe and installed them at his shop. I still think you probably paid a lot more for brake pads and rotors(just the parts from Monroe) than you should have. Would have been cheaper getting them from a parts store or from an online supplier and still get the same quality or better. BTW, yeah, usually get a loud humming noise from a bad wheel bearing(higher speeds) and a "wobble" in the wheel/tire when jacked up off of the ground and side to side or top to bottom movement hand pressure is applied to the side edge of the tire. Basically, you are trying to shake the wheel side to side with your hands, If you see or feel a bit of wobble or movement, you have a wheel bearing going bad.

Yeah buddy I think your right I actually got lifetime warranty on the PADS & 3 years on the ROTORS.

Thanks for the helping hand

Take care

Back