H2O and Oil PSI sending units

BryanB

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS
Hello everyone.

I am having provlem with my "analog itiot light" that ford calls an oil pressure gague. It won't read any psi (as if it had no pressure and the 'check gauge' light comes on) suddenly the indicator will pop up, then fall, then pop back up. I dont believe it is the oil pump. It is a new engine 2500 miles ago adn it did it before new engine installed too.

Therefore, I am planning to install new oil psi gauge and H2O temp gauge in my A-pillar mounted gague pod.

My questions are: (1) Does anyone know thread size for both opening? (I read the long thread and wasn't satisfied I found the correct info) and (2) Once I have the sending units in, How do I keep the 'check gauge' light from illuminating all the time since I will have diabled the factory sending units?

Thanks!

p.s. It is a '99 pushrod 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone.

I am having provlem with my "analog itiot light" that ford calls an oil pressure gague. It won't read any psi (as if it had no pressure and the 'check gauge' light comes on) suddenly the indicator will pop up, then fall, then pop back up. I dont believe it is the oil pump. It is a new engine 2500 miles ago adn it did it before new engine installed too.

Therefore, I am planning to install new oil psi gauge and H2O temp gauge in my A-pillar mounted gague pod.

My questions are: (1) Does anyone know thread size for both opening? (I read the long thread and wasn't satisfied I found the correct info) and (2) Once I have the sending units in, How do I keep the 'check gauge' light from illuminating all the time since I will have diabled the factory sending units?

Thanks!

p.s. It is a '99 pushrod 4.0

I believe it is a 1/8 npt sized fitting--
you could find a long nipple, a t, and install both?
I think the factory sending unit(s) are needed, for the engine to even run--

You will need the temp and oil pressure gauges for your engine to run properly (mainly temp). You don't want to disable the factory senders. The computer needs to know your coolant temp to help it make decisions, like when to switch to closed loop operation, etc. If you don't have it working, you will be wasting gas. The oil sensor is needed to keep the lights off. I don't think it helps the computer in any way, but 'm not sure. If it dosen't it could be bypassed but why not have something else to get your attention if you do loose oil pressure.

As to fixing the stock oil pressure gauge, check the wiring on the oil pressure sender. Pull the plug off and look for corrosion. If its clean, check the wiring. If thats ok, then its probably the sender, they're not that expensive. To install your gauges, simply use a tee fitting to connect them both.

-Ted

If both factory sending units are single wire, then you will not get a cel if they are disconnected as they are not "looped" back to the computer.

An aftermarket oil pressure sending unit can be tee'd in with the stock sender, but the water temp unit cannot be easily tee'd together.

An option for the water temp is to run a tee in the heater hose.

Back