Hairline crack on top of radiator | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hairline crack on top of radiator

I’ve done a couple RockAuto radiators. Can’t remember which brands. One leaked after about a year and was replaced under warranty. Other one I just recently installed in my 5.0L.

Slightly related, but a buddy of mine had an early 2000s BMW when we were stationed in Japan. It had a radiator that had its overflow tank built into the radiator side tanks. Dumb design, typical of BMW trying to re-invent the wheel and making everything excessively complex. Enough heat cycles and the tank failed, dumping the contents of the cooling system on the road...

...while his wife was driving to work.

Gauge pegged, red light, beeping, whole deal. “Well, I’m almost at work.”

She drove another five miles to work with zero coolant. Torched the engine. Junked the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New radiator arrived from the local shop. It's made in China which I'm not thrilled about, but my research suggests that most are made in China nowadays. 1 year warranty on it. The quality definitely doesn't look as good as the Motorcraft one, but I hope it does the trick. The brand is RadCool, which I was unable to find any information on when searching online. Anyone use this brand before?

Also, the shop threw in a free cap, but I noticed it's 13lbs instead of the 16lbs that's on the original. Okay to use or should I call to get a different one? Thanks.

@aberrant

Completely understand your feelings about giving $$$ to the ChiComs - they're on my no fly list...

Can't tell you about RadCool - never heard of them.

Over my past 15yrs of ownership, my 1st Replacement Radiator (July 2009 @ 116,600 miles) was a Visteon (OEM mfg. for FORD - Made in USA).

My 2nd Replacement Radiator (April 2019 @211,000 miles) is a Spectra Premium (that @donalds & I currently run) and it's Made in Canada.

* So the Factory OEM/USA lasted 11 yrs & 116,600 Miles,

* The 1st Replacement OEM/USA lasted 10 yrs & 94,400 miles.

My current (2019) Spectra Premium had a "Made in Canada" Big Red Maple Leaf on the protective cardboard box, and a "Made in Canada" Maple Leaf sticker on the Radiator ;)

You could try this:

Ask your local shop you got the RadCool from if they can get close to Amazon's price on the Spectra Premium = $169

NOTE: Politely inform them you can buy it from AMAZON and get Free Shipping - even without having a PRIME account.

That's a BIG PLUS on such a large & bulky item...

Sold by AMAZON (not a 3rd party) and Ships from AMAZON

Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C7TTZI/?tag=serious-20

Rock Auto's price on the Spectra is $185 BUT you would HAVE TO PAY for SHIPPING.
You could get 5% more off the price with an easily obtainable discount code off the 'net BUT the shipping would likely be pretty costly.

I would stick with the original radiator cap specs. Using lower pressure will cause premature boiling and release more coolant into the reservoir. I can only guess that your shop installed that 13psi one as a precaution, to protect that not-so-great radiator.
As for the radiator brand, China is a huge country, so "made in China" does not necessarily mean good or bad - one has to look at the specific source - which in this case seems unknown.
Note that independent shops, especially the smaller ones are known not to shy from saving a few $$ when installing parts. Might have been a good idea to specify the brand/model you wanted and pay a bit extra. I installed Spectra Premium when my radiator failed, about a year ago.

@aberrant

Completely understand your feelings about giving $$$ to the ChiComs - they're on my no fly list...

Can't tell you about RadCool - never heard of them.

Over my past 15yrs of ownership, my 1st Replacement Radiator (July 2009 @ 116,600 miles) was a Visteon (OEM mfg. for FORD - Made in USA).

My 2nd Replacement Radiator (April 2019 @211,000 miles) is a Spectra Premium (that @donalds & I currently run) and it's Made in Canada.

* So the Factory OEM/USA lasted 11 yrs & 116,600 Miles,

* The 1st Replacement OEM/USA lasted 10 yrs & 94,400 miles.

My current (2019) Spectra Premium had a "Made in Canada" Big Red Maple Leaf on the protective cardboard box, and a "Made in Canada" Maple Leaf sticker on the Radiator ;)

You could try this:

Ask your local shop you got the RadCool from if they can get close to Amazon's price on the Spectra Premium = $169

NOTE: Politely inform them you can buy it from AMAZON and get Free Shipping - even without having a PRIME account.

That's a BIG PLUS on such a large & bulky item...

Sold by AMAZON (not a 3rd party) and Ships from AMAZON

Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C7TTZI/?tag=serious-20

Rock Auto's price on the Spectra is $185 BUT you would HAVE TO PAY for SHIPPING.
You could get 5% more off the price with an easily obtainable discount code off the 'net BUT the shipping would likely be pretty costly.

Thanks. The one from my local shop was $170. My factory radiator has lasted me 20 years and ~158,000 miles. Not bad I suppose.

For most of the repairs done on the truck, I've used Motorcraft parts. Not a fan of aftermarket, but due to the age/value of the vehicle and the cost of a Motorcraft radiator (around $450 - I made a mistake in my original posting), I just cannot justify spending that much. This RadCool radiator could last just as long, but I really have no idea. I've done more research on other forums, and it seems like people have different experiences with Spectra Premium. Some have failed and some have not. With other brands, it appears to be a crapshoot whether or not you'll get a lemon or a reliable one.

Regarding the antifreeze, is this stuff okay to use? I've always used the green Peak or Oreilly brand that says compatible with Ford, but I bought two gallons of this Prestone stuff and would prefer to just use it. I see they also make a "Conventional Green" and then an orange one (for Ford/GM). Thoughts?
Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 1.34.13 PM.png

Regarding the antifreeze, is this stuff okay to use? I've always used the Peak brand that says compatible with Ford, but I bought two quarts of this Prestone stuff and would prefer to just use it. I see they also make a "Conventional Green" and then an orange one (for Ford/GM). Thoughts?
View attachment 322427

@aberrant

Just sayin' :)

For the least chance of problems with your 21 year old / 158,000 mile cooling system (and heater core, water pump, thermostat, head gaskets, "crimp" areas on old hoses), I suggest staying with the same exact PEAK/FORD formula that you've been using...

Sometimes changing brands/formulas that your system has "settled in with" will create a new set of problems.

Hope that helps, good luck & your mileage may vary :)

@aberrant

Just sayin' :)

For the least chance of problems with your 21 year old / 158,000 mile cooling system (and heater core, water pump, thermostat, head gaskets, "crimp" areas on old hoses), I suggest staying with the same exact PEAK/FORD formula that you've been using...

Sometimes changing brands/formulas that your system has "settled in with" will create a new set of problems.

Hope that helps, good luck & your mileage may vary :)

My thoughts exactly. Guess I'll be returning the Prestone stuff.

If at ant broke don't fix it ...use what was in there
Water pump 75$
Heater core $$
Heater control valve $$

All have seals use what you have been using unless your a gambler

I just found a crack in my left side plastic tank as well, stock/OEM radiator. It was seeping enough fluid to be noticed on the floor. Unfortunately, I noticed all of this literally the night before I had planned to take my family camping several hundred miles from home. So that evening I ended up replacing the radiator with a new unit I got from Performance Radiator (nationwide chain?). As the truck is a 5.0L V8 model, the A/C condenser reinstallation was a total PITA. I think the job took me 6 hours in entirety, but I'm not a pro either. The unit was a direct fit replacement, but I noticed that the core on the new unit was twice as thick as the original. Regardless, it seems to cool very well and performed well on our excursion to the mountains, so no complaints. The replacement job was definitely the worst radiator replacement process I've endured, though!

... and yet, you won! And it sounds like you have a two core (?), superior, radiator.

Well done!

... and yet, you won! And it sounds like you have a two core (?), superior, radiator.

Well done!
Honestly, I was surprised when I pulled the OE radiator out that it was a single core. Living in the AZ desert I figured it wouldn't have been adequate, but obviously it has been working fine for the last 5 years (since I bought the vehicle). I would expect better cooling performance from the 2 core, for sure... unless it poses a serious airflow restriction with the added thickness of the 2nd core. Thanks for kudos though, getting that AC condenser mounted back into the 3 tabs on the radiator took a while and required some muscle.

As the truck is a 5.0L V8 model, the A/C condenser reinstallation was a total PITA. I think the job took me 6 hours in entirety, but I'm not a pro either. The unit was a direct fit replacement, but I noticed that the core on the new unit was twice as thick as the original. Regardless, it seems to cool very well and performed well on our excursion to the mountains, so no complaints. The replacement job was definitely the worst radiator replacement process I've endured, though!
edit: corrected "evaporator" to "condenser"

Yes, removing and reinstalling the radiator on the V8 is an ordeal. The common belief is that the reason for "sandwiching" the radiator and the condenser together like this was original installation efficiency, without any respect for the poor guy who will be dealing with this some time down the road. If it's any consolation, rest assured that you will be much faster next time. On the fourth attempt I got this down to about 1.5 hours.
Incidentally, seems to me that Performance Radiator is a reseller, not a manufacturer.

My V8 truck had a V6 nose installed at some point in the past. No idea why, must have been a good front end collision. They did a good job.

Anyway, my truck came with a V6 radiator. Swapped in a V8 radiator. Not the best fit, but didn’t have to deal with the condenser, so that’s a plus!

Back