Hard starting (and dread the answer). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard starting (and dread the answer).

Ray_2009

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer XLT
Did a search, but the success of this site means you get a billion results to sift through...I just made it to a million. ;-)

Anyway, my 2009 Explorer 4.0 with 87k has become troublesome to start. Had injectors cleaned, and plugs replaced (Ford said 90k, but did it at 86k).

If I wait about 4 seconds with switch in on position, and then crank it, the truck fires right up, but if I just crank it right away, more often than not, it'll take a few seconds of crank before it starts.

From what Iv'e read, is my fuel pump going out, and gasp, does it really cost $500.00 to replace it?

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few seconds is not abnormal especially when very cold. Pressure in the fuel rail could be dropping off when sitting a long time.
Did you have any codes ?? Before or now?

You did a lot of work based on what? Guessing, plugs won't case it nor injectors. All would have to be affected and that never happens.

If the engine is spinning reasonably quick it won't be the battery but.... too low voltage could cause a delay. The fuel pump pressures the system on the turn of the key (it takes what it takes to do it, a second or... whatever I don't know). If you aren't having any driving problems as pulling away, speed and power limiting on the highway. It likely not the fuel pump.

Come the warm weather clean the ground lugs, bolts around the engine compartment. Rust and corrosion will case weird symptoms and a good warm weather job in you driveway/yard with a cold one on standby. Take your time and the threads of the stud, bolt should be cleaned as well. A wire wheel on the end of a drill does wonders!!!

On 3rd thought last night. Your Fuel filter inline usually somewhere on the passenger side maybe be plugging up from dirty gas bought at Non Tier 1 gas stations. Cheapest actually part which will make a difference. Relieving the pressure to remove the lines will have to be done though.

This should only be replace with a FORD part!!

I would suspect a the fuel filter as first to replace, although the check valve in your fuel line might be bad, causing your fuel to drain out of the line. My 98 requires zero priming time, no matter how cold it gets, or how long it sits.

Thanks all. I did the injector clean because I had never done it, and thought I'd see if it helps - it didn't. I changed the plugs because Ford say 90K and I was at just under 87K, so figured may as well while it's in the shop. Already replaced fuel filter about 10K ago (first time).

Replaced battery, but that was 2 years ago, and battery checks out fine.

Like I said, if I wait about 4 seconds, it fires right up. Never had any issues whatsoever with idle, acceleration, etc., and still don't - once started, if you didn't look at tach, you wouldn't know it was running.

As for cold start, I'm in north central Texas, and while it can get cold, rarely does it get really cold. Low tonight is the 40, but truck is in garage. Also, it's been doing this (hard start) since last spring.

Once it's warmer, I may try the clean ground bolts/nuts, but just like everything else, doesn't make sense to do that as it should have crappy ground no matter how long the switch is on?

If it is the pump, its about 125 for a quality pump off rock auto and a couple hours in the garage. Just make sure you do it when the tank is empty. I hate siphoning a full tank, which is usually when they die. Kind of like when buttered toast always lands butter down. some guys have cut holes in the back of their explorers so they can just drop a replacement in. not my thing, but whatever floats your boat.

As always, I appreciate all the replies/help. As an update, over the last couple of weekends, I've pulled the truck into the garage when i got off work Friday eve, and left 'till time to go to work on Monday morn. Starts right up without any fuss. So if the pump was bad (took a few seconds to get fuel delivered) or I had a pressure leak, you'd think, that'd show up straight away after days of sitting.

Just chalk it up to age of the truck I guess, and not gonn'a worry about it.

Again, thanks all!!!

Back