Hard throttle response

Explored4

Reaction score
City, State
Carol Stream Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
I have a 2004 Limited 4.6L
I got it about 5 months ago. The biggest problem I have is hard throttle response. I’ve read that it can be the TPS, and you can take it to a dealership and have them download the newest update, something like that. Has anyone done this, how much did it cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By hard throttle response, do you mean that the gas pedal is hard to press on. The throttle is directly connected via a push-pull cable to the throttle body. My guess is that something got jammed up, the cable got rerouted and is kinked, or may need lubication. The TPS is just a sensor to tell the ECU what absolute position the throttle is open and should not affect the stiffness of the throttle body.

How does it respond, if you take off the engine cover and manually pull on the throttle actuator. It could be, but less so, that your throttle body is so gummed up that the throttle plate itself is jammed up, Some carb cleaner is a good thing on something like an 04 if it's never been cleaned.

By hard throttle response, do you mean that the gas pedal is hard to press on. The throttle is directly connected via a push-pull cable to the throttle body. My guess is that something got jammed up, the cable got rerouted and is kinked, or may need lubication. The TPS is just a sensor to tell the ECU what absolute position the throttle is open and should not affect the stiffness of the throttle body.

How does it respond, if you take off the engine cover and manually pull on the throttle actuator. It could be, but less so, that your throttle body is so gummed up that the throttle plate itself is jammed up, Some carb cleaner is a good thing on something like an 04 if it's never been cleaned.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it has the drive by wire system. It feels like the actual gas pedal is hard to push. It feels at least 3x harder to push then a cable throttle system. Maybe it’s the gas pedal assembly. I couldn’t see any springs on it. I need to find a schematic of it.

Yeah, if it's drive by wire for the accelerator then it only has a rheostat at the base to measure the pedal position and feed that back to the ECU. Most likely something dealing with the pedal itself. Could it be catching on something like aftermarket mats?

Back