• Register Today It's free!

Electronic Throttle Body Issues

animex2

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Hey everyone, so I got my 2004 4.0 Ex in October with 72k, now it just rolled over 80k. The first 8k miles were execelent, the past 100 have been hell. Bad wheel bearing at first, then my alternator went bad and killed my battery. Replaced the battery and alternator, now my "wrench" light is on, which is for the Electronic Throttle Body.

The issue im having I cant seem to find anyone else having, I can change my gears, move forward and backward at idle speeds, but if i touch the gas pedal at all, no response.

So basically the only way it moves is idling either forward or backward, even in park or neutral pushing the gas pedal does not do a single thing, this is driving me nuts.

Anyone wanna trade me a cable throttle body so I know whats actually going on? haha

Any help would be great. :thumbsup:

welcome to the world of fly by wire. There are many advantages to it, but when it fails . . . .
In reading various posts over the years, about a couple have failed, not many though, usually they replace the TB altogether. . could be a failed motor, TPS sensor, pedal sensor. there was a thread where the guy took video of one working. Might look for a junkyard one?

Thanks, I was talking to some people and just reading around, and alot of people said I just need to get my PCM reflashed, any comments on that idea?

you might get lucky but i doubt it. Flash will change whats there, but when you say "usually now my "wrench" light is on" id find what that code means, there is one stored if that light is on. In the previous failures, the motor was shot the that moved the throttle plate. If you can take it in, the dealer can hook it up to a NGS or some code reader you can watch the reported position of the plate and also the position of the pedal . . . one thing you can test remove the intake hose by the TB and with the engine off key on move the pedal the plate should move (i believe).
post of one working
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247917&highlight="fly+wire"

Back