• Register Today It's free!

Hard transmission jerks

nomad60

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
And another problem with our 2020 limited which started today. When my wife came home, she told me we had to take her Explorer for a test drive because it was jerking when she started applying the brakes. Took it for a spin and sure enough, when I applied the brakes, the car jerked HARD. I put it into the different modes and it does it in all modes, but not only when applying the brake, it also does some hard shifts while driving. This reminds me of the hard transmission jerks my 2010 Escape had from time to time when I first got it, but mainly when it was downshifting. Ford cured that with a PCM reprogram. Our Explorer was doing this today while driving up a hill, going down a hill, and also when applying the brake while driving faster than 15 mph.

Add that one to the loud popping noises from underneath the vehicle while driving 45 mph or faster and the plastic a-pillar inside the driver's side door falling off after we closed the door.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed that not only does the trans shift very hard on the downshifts, it's the modulation of the brake pedal that makes it worse.

As the trans is doing the 5-4-3-2-1, when it gets to 3-2, then the 2-1 (which is the WORST one of the downshift), it feels like the brake pedal (on same pressure) increases by like 50%.

So if you're doing 50% brake pressure and the car is downshifting, when you get to the 3-2, 2-1, the brake pedal gives it 90-100% brake on the same pressure you're applying make the car take a dive almost every time.

It's the absolute worst. I'm going to do a ECU reset when i have some time off and see if that helps. I doubt it though. This hasn't been the best first impression to a car. Which is a shame because i always been a fan of the explorer, even dating years back when i never owned one.

And another problem with our 2020 limited which started today. When my wife came home, she told me we had to take her Explorer for a test drive because it was jerking when she started applying the brakes. Took it for a spin and sure enough, when I applied the brakes, the car jerked HARD. I put it into the different modes and it does it in all modes, but not only when applying the brake, it also does some hard shifts while driving. This reminds me of the hard transmission jerks my 2010 Escape had from time to time when I first got it, but mainly when it was downshifting. Ford cured that with a PCM reprogram. Our Explorer was doing this today while driving up a hill, going down a hill, and also when applying the brake while driving faster than 15 mph.

Add that one to the loud popping noises from underneath the vehicle while driving 45 mph or faster and the plastic a-pillar inside the driver's side door falling off after we closed the door.
Have you been able to check for possible codes? There are a couple of mentions of hard/harsh shifting in the TSB thread. Not sure if they apply.

Peter

Vehicle is going to the dealer on the 11th (earliest available appointment) for all 3 issues. When I talked to them today, the lady said, "goodness, so many people are having transmission problems lately" :(

Vehicle is going to the dealer on the 11th (earliest available appointment) for all 3 issues. When I talked to them today, the lady said, "goodness, so many people are having transmission problems lately" :(

lol that's not good news to hear at all.

Anyway good luck and report back for what they find and if the issue was resolved!

lol that's not good news to hear at all.

Anyway good luck and report back for what they find and if the issue was resolved!

I sure will. Hope they can find the problem and fix it. Our 2015 never had any issues whatsoever. My 2010 Escape which I still drive, has 103,500 miles on it and I've never had any problems with it except normal wear and tear. I considered myself lucky, because a lot of people had problems with that transmission with leaks, erratic and hard shifting but I only had a few issues at the beginning with hard downshifts but a PCM reprogram fixed that.

In this case, it's pretty much like you said said above. Actually kinda scary the way it happens. Driving along, and when you have to stop, almost as soon as your foot hits the brake, there's a very hard downshift and the entire vehicle takes a slight nosedive.

I sure will. Hope they can find the problem and fix it. Our 2015 never had any issues whatsoever. My 2010 Escape which I still drive, has 103,500 miles on it and I've never had any problems with it except normal wear and tear. I considered myself lucky, because a lot of people had problems with that transmission with leaks, erratic and hard shifting but I only had a few issues at the beginning with hard downshifts but a PCM reprogram fixed that.

In this case, it's pretty much like you said said above. Actually kinda scary the way it happens. Driving along, and when you have to stop, almost as soon as your foot hits the brake, there's a very hard downshift and the entire vehicle takes a slight nosedive.

I mean lucky for me, i don't have those severe trans issues like taking off in 2nd gear, or not being able to put it back to park or reverse etc, it's just the extreme annoyance that comes when city driving this car.

On the highway, it's the best. I am ashamed to take co-workers for a ride or friends because i know, even though none of them are "car people", will know something is wrong because of how unsmooth the ride is. My brother picked up on it right away. He's like, "the trans is acting funny" lol.

If you do a search on 'transmission issues' you will come up with several threads. This item seems to be a weak point in the 6th gen Explorer judging by all the posts here.

Peter

Vehicle is at the dealership for all 3 issues. Got a call this afternoon that they have to keep it because they have to figure out what's going on with the transmission, which I had already anticipated. They gave us a loaner in the meantime. We're supposed to go on vacation to Florida middle of next month but even if they get it fixed by then, we may be taking the 2010 Escape because now, I may never be able to trust the Explorer for long trips. And that is sad.

If you do a search on 'transmission issues' you will come up with several threads. This item seems to be a weak point in the 6th gen Explorer judging by all the posts here.

Peter
Is it across all the 6th gen explorers? Specifically wondering if the STs are less likely to have the issue.

Is it across all the 6th gen explorers? Specifically wondering if the STs are less likely to have the issue.
So far the transmission on my ST is great. Not sure what percentage of Explorers sold are ST's versus other models.

I haven't gone into each thread to check but the trims are shown in the margin profiles.

Peter

Yes. Much less. hundreds of thousands ST have been sold and they only had like 4 or 5 people complaining on here.

So far the transmission on my ST is great. Not sure what percentage of Explorers sold are ST's versus other models.
Not many STs out there. I see a lot of XLTs and Limiteds in my area, but have yet to see an ST. Some Platinums though.
No problems with the XLTs locally, and mine runs like a dream...fingers crossed.

Yes. Much less. hundreds of thousands ST have been sold and they only had like 4 or 5 people complaining on here.
Good to know. While overall I’m disappointed that it’s an issue, I’m only looking at the STs.

Not many STs out there. I see a lot of XLTs and Limiteds in my area, but have yet to see an ST. Some Platinums though.
No problems with the XLTs locally, and mine runs like a dream...fingers crossed.

Ours ran like a dream for 6 months...never a hint of transmission problems until 2 weeks ago, out of the blue.

I haven't found any numbers so far but did find this.
Peter
According to an article over a year ago, ST's accounted for 21% of sales and I see at least one a week in my area. The number is probably closer to 25% now.

I would guess like 90% of those ST owners don't even know a forum like this exists. Or if they do know, aren't a member.

My friends dad has an ST, because he's been an explorer guy for life (one of the reasons why i liked the explorer all these years), he's on his 4th explorer, the ST now. He has no idea a forum like this exists. He's not on any forum. He has the same issue as most are having. He has more money than he knows what to do with it so whenever he has a problem, he sends it to the dealer and he gets a loaner. I guess customer loyalty since people said ford doesn't give out loaners. Apparently he had a trans issue but was fixed with the reflash. I haven't asked him how the car is now (this was in feb when he got the reflash).

But a little update on my XLT. Trans is starting to get worse.

The slipping of the gears, usually when cold, is now happening almost all the time now, when warm.

I tested this by accelerating lightly in 1st gear right before it wants to shift, but i let off the throttle and the trans STILL shifted into gear, which could be normal, i guess if you have perfect timing, but for me the trans lunged into 2nd gear. It actually made a very small jolt that i could feel in the driver seat.

I have some days off soon so i'm going to try to reset the ECU and just letting it sit overnight, see if that does anything at all which i don't expect it will, but because this car has been acting funny since i got it, along with what i read here from others, you just never know. It might actually fixed it a bit that way.

Otherwise i'm going to inquire at the dealer about a trans flush or for them to check it.

Not even 1 year into the lease smh. That tesla model 3 performance is looking better and better each day lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: Our vehicle was at the dealership from 11 May until today- half of that time was waiting for parts to come in.

They performed TSB 20-2403, then completed accelerated break in for a, b, c, d, and e clutches, but during 20-mile test drive, noticed that vehicle still had harsh engagement from 7th to 6th gear during downshift

They then did TSB 20-2337 which is specific for the 7th to 6th gear harsh downshift and test drove vehicle for 45 miles

For right now, the vehicle is driving smooth, we shall see if it lasts.

For the rattling noise we were hearing while driving 45mph+, they did that one TSB which is basically putting clamps over the heat shields on the exhaust. No more noise (whew, it was super annoying!)

Back