Hard transmission jerks | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard transmission jerks

Yes. Much less. hundreds of thousands ST have been sold and they only had like 4 or 5 people complaining on here.

Count me among the ST users having hard shifts. The issue showed up out of nowhere today while braking (not hard braking). 20K miles or so on the clock. Will be taking it to the dealer this week and reporting back here. I haven't combed through all the transmission issues threads yet so sorry if I'm coming off a bit naive so far. It's only been a couple hours!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Count me among the ST users having hard shifts. The issue showed up out of nowhere today while braking (not hard braking). 20K miles or so on the clock. Will be taking it to the dealer this week and reporting back here. I haven't combed through all the transmission issues threads yet so sorry if I'm coming off a bit naive so far. It's only been a couple hours!
Have you seen this; List of Useful Threads - 6th Generation Ex and Aviator Recalls, TSB, FSA and SSM

Peter

Yes, thanks so much for the listing, Peter. Problem got worse on the highway yesterday and we felt it was not safe to drive. Towed to the local dealer and they will evaluate this week. It's always nice to be armed with knowledge of TSBs if they say, "nope, we didn't find anything!". Though to be fair, the dealer we use (not the closest one to us) is generally pretty good.

I would guess like 90% of those ST owners don't even know a forum like this exists. Or if they do know, aren't a member.

My friends dad has an ST, because he's been an explorer guy for life (one of the reasons why i liked the explorer all these years), he's on his 4th explorer, the ST now. He has no idea a forum like this exists. He's not on any forum. He has the same issue as most are having. He has more money than he knows what to do with it so whenever he has a problem, he sends it to the dealer and he gets a loaner. I guess customer loyalty since people said ford doesn't give out loaners. Apparently he had a trans issue but was fixed with the reflash. I haven't asked him how the car is now (this was in feb when he got the reflash).

But a little update on my XLT. Trans is starting to get worse.

The slipping of the gears, usually when cold, is now happening almost all the time now, when warm.

I tested this by accelerating lightly in 1st gear right before it wants to shift, but i let off the throttle and the trans STILL shifted into gear, which could be normal, i guess if you have perfect timing, but for me the trans lunged into 2nd gear. It actually made a very small jolt that i could feel in the driver seat.

I have some days off soon so i'm going to try to reset the ECU and just letting it sit overnight, see if that does anything at all which i don't expect it will, but because this car has been acting funny since i got it, along with what i read here from others, you just never know. It might actually fixed it a bit that way.

Otherwise i'm going to inquire at the dealer about a trans flush or for them to check it.

Not even 1 year into the lease smh. That tesla model 3 performance is looking better and better each day lol
My ST has been doing this exact thing for the last 1.5 years. I’ve brought it to the dealership over 9 times. My transmission was rebuilt at 36,000 when it slipped into neutral going 60 down the hwy. Post transmissions rebuild my car is still “jolting” into 2nd after a cold start when I let off the accelerator at slow speeds. Not cool when I’m in parking lots full of ppl and kids.The dealership keeps telling me they can’t find anything and act like I’m crazy. Did you get yours figured out?

My ST has been doing this exact thing for the last 1.5 years. I’ve brought it to the dealership over 9 times. My transmission was rebuilt at 36,000 when it slipped into neutral going 60 down the hwy. Post transmissions rebuild my car is still “jolting” into 2nd after a cold start when I let off the accelerator at slow speeds. Not cool when I’m in parking lots full of ppl and kids.The dealership keeps telling me they can’t find anything and act like I’m crazy. Did you get yours figured out?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on July 4, 2022, so likely is no longer following.
In situations where a tech is not able to duplicate an issue, it is suggested that you ask him/her to do a ride along with you so that you can point out the issue when it happens as you are familiar with it. Of course it may be difficult to do if it only occurs on a "cold start".

Peter

I'm hesitant to call cold start issues a problem unless it's egregious. My car's shifting is definitely not as smooth before the car is warmed up. Isn't that normal for all automatics?

I'm hesitant to call cold start issues a problem unless it's egregious. My car's shifting is definitely not as smooth before the car is warmed up. Isn't that normal for all automatics?
To some extent maybe, but mine is very excessive and hard feeling. I’ve had it happen after driving to school pick up (15 min drive) Shut off car, go in (5 mins) come back out start up and have the issue happen again in the parking lot. Maybe cold start isn’t the right terminology for that scenario.

I have not noticed any change in the shifting behaviour between cold and warmed-up shifts in the vehicles I've driven. Not saying there isn't, but I haven't observed it.

Peter

To some extent maybe, but mine is very excessive and hard feeling. I’ve had it happen after driving to school pick up (15 min drive) Shut off car, go in (5 mins) come back out start up and have the issue happen again in the parking lot. Maybe cold start isn’t the right terminology for that scenario.
That isn't what I'd describe as a "cold start" but more like after an initial engine startup. In that case, if you can readily reproduce it, have a tech ride along with you.

Peter

Not sure if the 10AT is shared between the 4 & 6 cylinder models, but I do get the occasional harsh downshift in slow speed traffic. Quite an abrupt shift. Too infrequent to try to get dealer diagnosis, since it's hard to replicate.

Back