Hard transmission shift I believe from 2nd to 3rd. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard transmission shift I believe from 2nd to 3rd.

Doug.Spencer

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4x
Hi, I got a 2000 XLS Explorer, 4.0 OHV, 4x4, mostly stock.

I have been noticing lately that if I really give it some gas from a stand still or moving slowly (not fully flooring it though), that the engine while in I believe 2nd gear will rev really hi (for 1 to 2 seconds), with no change in speed, so I assume it is in between switching gears. Then all of a sudden it will catch and jerk into 3rd gear. It is not a hard jerk like throw me around in my seat, but I know it is not something that should be happening.

Also, when it revs hi between shifting, I feel like if I let off the gas to slow the revs down, it goes into 3rd smoother than it would if I continued to floor it. My explorer is mostly stock. Nothing really done to any of the moving parts of the vehicle.

I've been googling this problem all over. And have just found complaints or people who's transmission won't shift beyond 3rd. Mine does and runs fine. Just strictly acts up flooring it between 2nd and 3rd. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I trust the people on the site more than most mechanics.

Also my O/D light does NOT come on.

Hi, I got a 2000 XLS Explorer, 4.0 OHV, 4x4, mostly stock.

I have been noticing lately that if I really give it some gas from a stand still or moving slowly (not fully flooring it though), that the engine while in I believe 2nd gear will rev really hi (for 1 to 2 seconds), with no change in speed, so I assume it is in between switching gears. Then all of a sudden it will catch and jerk into 3rd gear. It is not a hard jerk like throw me around in my seat, but I know it is not something that should be happening.

Also, when it revs hi between shifting, I feel like if I let off the gas to slow the revs down, it goes into 3rd smoother than it would if I continued to floor it. My explorer is mostly stock. Nothing really done to any of the moving parts of the vehicle.

I've been googling this problem all over. And have just found complaints or people who's transmission won't shift beyond 3rd. Mine does and runs fine. Just strictly acts up flooring it between 2nd and 3rd. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I trust the people on the site more than most mechanics.

Sounds like a delay because it is computer controlled. I have a similar situation my my 1996 EB 5.0... When I go from a stop light and I really get on it, it revs really high (5 or 6k), and then slams into second, but if I let off of the gas while this is happening it will shifts smooth. also actually this morning I was passing somebody, the engine revved real high again, but It did not increase in speed at all, then all of a sudden bam into another gear, I have a feeling the transmission with age and mileage is not doing so well. other then racing from street light sometimes to beat somebody before the lane merges, or to pass somebody I baby it. would like to know why it seems to hesitate, or shift real hard into gear though.

Back