Harlan, Kentucky

glfredrick

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
86-98 Ranger STX
This isn't a planned run, but for anyone thinking of a Harlan Kentucky run, here is an added bonus that you can see while on the trails! :thumbsup:

Elk_3.jpg

Elk_5.jpg

Elk_2.jpg

Elk_1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guy when i get my business off the grond in KY ill be game for some winter wheeling.

Ill be in Tompkinsville

"You'll never leave Harlan alive..."

Sure we will...

I have no interest whatsoever in:

Bootleg moonshine...
Homegrown herbs of any kind -- especially those with desirable buds...
Girls missing one or more teeth (especially the front ones)...
Old F250s on bald tires...
Mobile homes...
Used appliances...
Hound dogs...
Or most anything else deemed desirable by the natives. :eek::D

All I know is that we do a mission trip every summer close to there (Laurel MIssion, Little Laurel) and I have always wanted to take my 4x4 down there and go wheeling when we are down there. We do a Small summer camp there. The kid look foward to us coming every year. The "owner" of the mission's son has a pretty nice Dodge That he used to wheel alot. It's amazing scenery and the little Chiltins' are so fun to work with.

Sure we will...

I was referring to the Darrell Scott/Brad Paisley/etc. coal-mining song "You'll never leave Harlan alive"

In the deep, dark hills of eastern Kentucky
That's the place where I trace my bloodline
And it's there I read on a hillside gravestone
"You will never leave Harlan alive"

EDIT: And at the risk of sounding ignorant, I thought Wapiti were extinct in the south east? Or are those Mule-ys?

The Elk are back, and in a big way!

One of the most successful transplant efforts ever. The current herd runs to around 6500 animals. They are wanting the herd to top out at around 15,000.

There is also an annual hunting season, with some fine bulls being harvested. Draw is limited to around 65 or so a year right now, so it is difficult to get a tag, but one day, they'll take around 1500 and we'll be able to hunt elk in the East once again.

The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is partnering with the Kentucky Fish and Game department to plant elk in 6 counties -- primarily recovered coal mining country, where there is ample pasture land and forests enough for cover.

Back