• Register Today It's free!

Harry's XPC / Multimedia Project

Harry5150

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clarita, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Dodge Durango Limited
Well since I no longer have a garage to work out of, I'm dropping my conversion to 4X(and $) and am now dumping my cash into a computer for the Explorer.

I guess this post could of gone into the computers sections too.

It'll be used for GPS navigation, music, movies, OBD-II, and web browsing if I can hit an AP.

I gutted the full center console and put an Epia Via M10000 MoBo/CPU along with a 150W DC/DC power supply.

The puter is being output to a 7" vga touch screen monitor that I'm putting into the radio bezel. [Like expo5.0 did ] The HU is being relocated to were the storage pocket(s) is. I haven't decied yet if I'm switching to the ETAC from the manual yet. Depends on how tall the DVD/CD drive is.

Besided the touch screen for input, I'm hiding a touch pad (like a laptop's) into the center console ash tray and a USB mini keyboard under the seat.

I have in hand, but haven't installed yet: a USB GPS, Bluetooth antenna, 802.11b mag antenna, OBD-II card, and the audio in adapter for the Alpine HU.

Will post some pics after I resize them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a great plan you have setup. I want to put a puter in my Exped, I think it would be a better route then what I'm working on right now. The best of luck to you on your project...

My new workshop LOL.

Attachments

• img_2662.jpg
    img_2662.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 318

The metal frame is what used to hold the blower and ducts for the center console.

I made an acrylic bottom plate that holds the MoBo.

The power supply and the hard drive are mounted on the metal console frame.

Attachments

• img_2670.jpg
    img_2670.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 338

Here's a test fit of what I have. The screen housing / bezel is nearly done. I have to finish the opening for the HU and finish prepping for paint.

Attachments

• img_2710.jpg
    img_2710.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 329

The HVAC opening is almost DIN sized. You can get it to fit height and width wise without a problem but the depth is too shallow. I'm going to need to make some spacers to get the HU out far enough.

Here's the back of the HU bottomed out on the ducts.

Attachments

• img_2716.jpg
    img_2716.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 314

WOW, that looks great so far. Cant wait to see the finished product... The design I'm running is the same one that I had in my old X, A Clarion HU and indash Clarion DVD Player, but the problem that I have is that I dont realy want to redesign my dash to fit the two units and my center channel speaker, or just my monitor and center channel speaker... Hope this made sence... Again best of luck on your project and I bet its going to look great...

Yea I had leds behind the needles, and the carbon fiber was real but it was still the stick on...

This is the same project i am working on. what screen are you running? I have been looking at the touchscreen lillput screens on ebay. they go for like 300. anyway yours looks great i think i am going to send my screen to expo5.0 to have him fit it. Some more pics would be great. I think these car puters are great ideas. everything you need in the touch of a button.

ya i have been a member over there for some time. I love that site...like you said lots of info. Well please post anymore pics you have and also let me know of you would be willing to help me out in building my pc. at first i thought i was going to use a laptop but now i think i want one like yours. lol let me know what you think.

Originally posted by Harry5150
The metal frame is what used to hold the blower and ducts for the center console.

I made an acrylic bottom plate that holds the MoBo.

The power supply and the hard drive are mounted on the metal console frame.
I can't picture where that metal 'frame' goes. I'm very interested since I currently have my Mini-ITX board and components mounted in my glovebox.

Where is a good place to buy the Mini-ITX board. I did not know so many people already had these things. GReat idea!

Originally posted by Jefe
I can't picture where that metal 'frame' goes.
Finally went back and reread your first post. Guess I missed the whole "center console" part. :rolleyes: Now I know exactly where that goes. Did you never have rear air, or are getting rid of it for this or what? Of course if you kept the rear air flowing through there you'd have a nice cooling duct :p (Just don't turn it on heat :eek: )

Originally posted by 5.0limited00
Where is a good place to buy the Mini-ITX board. I did not know so many people already had these things. GReat idea!
Um. . wherever its cheapest? ;) The Via EPIA Mini-ITX boards are pretty common online. Just pick which one you want and start price shopping.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by 5.0limited00
... Well please post anymore pics you have and also let me know of you would be willing to help me out in building my pc. at first i thought i was going to use a laptop but now i think i want one like yours. lol let me know what you think.

I'll put some more pics up soon. I've got to pull the console out to add some more USB stuff. Let me know how I can help ya out.

I got my MoBo from Fry's but there are several places you can get them from. Idotpc.com is one site. They're going for around $165 for the 1 GHz board which comes with the CPU/ Fan / onboard video.

Originally posted by Jefe
I can't picture where that metal 'frame' goes. I'm very interested since I currently have my Mini-ITX board and components mounted in my glovebox.

Yeah, it's kinda odd to see outside of the console. The frame actually holds the blower for the rear air. The ITX board just barely fits there.

I took the blower out and the duct that connect to the rear air. I was planning to hook up the rear air and the ETAC before I got the PC idea. I even changed the lower duct in the dash to route the air into the console. I'll probably remove and sell it now. The rear audio/air control is removed and I might put a mini video screen in there.

What type of accessories are you running? I have a PCI riser/doubler so I can put another serial port(s) in for more goodies.

Back