Has anyone installed the 12 volt solutions kit for 2016-2019 PIU? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone installed the 12 volt solutions kit for 2016-2019 PIU?

ppv18

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 3.7L NA V6 PIU
I have a 2018 Explorer PIU and wanted to install a keyless entry and remote start kit. The one from 12 volt solutions is a plug and play with existing key fobs. My car however only has the regular turn key and no electronic fobs. I do have the electronic locks from the inside of the vehicle. The kit also offers an option for long range remotes that they provide. This makes me think I don't need factory key fobs and can just use the long range fobs they provide. So I was curious if I bought the kit with the long range remotes would it work with my car? Anyone who has installed this on their PIU or has any knowledge about this kit I would appreciate the help. The link is below.

Note: My car does NOT have the factory key fob, just turn key. I do have electronic locks on the inside of my car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't installed the 12v Solutions unit, but researched them a good bit before my install of a Fortin EvoAll.

Yes, you can use the optional remotes, but I wanted factory fobs. I bought them at the dealer and had them connected. Then you can use those to start. I wanted the park lights on with the R/S...which in my case needs a couple wiring connections.

If you want 100% plug and play...the 12v solutions one is good....or there are a couple vendors on eBay selling similar like (I think) J's Alarms and Lessco Electronics. I bought the later and needed to make 3 wire connections and added the kill switch so that I can disable the R/S.

I haven't installed the 12v Solutions unit, but researched them a good bit before my install of a Fortin EvoAll.

Yes, you can use the optional remotes, but I wanted factory fobs. I bought them at the dealer and had them connected. Then you can use those to start. I wanted the park lights on with the R/S...which in my case needs a couple wiring connections.

If you want 100% plug and play...the 12v solutions one is good....or there are a couple vendors on eBay selling similar like (I think) J's Alarms and Lessco Electronics. I bought the later and needed to make 3 wire connections and added the kill switch so that I can disable the R/S.
Thank you for the help, I wanted to make sure that it would work even if I do not already have factory working fobs and just run key. I appreciate your help

Greetings ppv18 -

I indeed have installed one of the 12 Volt systems, and its fantastic. Truly plug-and-play - took me about 30 minutes, and most of that time was removing plastics. PIUs require a connection to the back of the ignition key, which is a B#@$h to get to (and some sharp stuff there, so expect a scrape or two on your hand), but the rest of it is dead easy. There is some time to be spent braining on where to run the wires to keep them out of the way of things, and a little bit more to figure out where to zip tie the boxes, but it couldn't be more simple.

I also did a great deal of research, including the ones on Ebay, etc. In my opinion, the reviews made 12 Volt the best choice. Add to it the ridiculously instructive installation video - one SPECIFICALLY for each car they offer, so yes, they have one for us, and I don't think you will find a better offering on the market. I called them with some specific questions, and they put me on hold to speak with their engineer. As the owner of a couple of businesses, this impressed me.

For the key FOB, this can be activated through IDS (fairly certain forSCAN as well, but can't confirm), which I did at a local diesel shop (they are not shy about using IDS), and had two factory FOBs programmed. The antenna for the FOBs is the same one that is used for the tire pressure sensor, so you already have everything you need to get factory FOBs. AND AND AND, if you find someone to do the IDS, you can also activate the remote start functions in your instrument cluster, including the auto climate control (whatever temp the car is, it automatically gets the cabin to 70 degrees). This is... nice. Finally, because we have the PIU, their system does not flash the markers when the keyFOB is depressed... I am thinking about getting this changed via IDS, but am still on the fence.

My friend and I each ordered one (he has an F-250), and he ordered the app module... needless to say, I ordered one and will be installing it within the next week or so. He had some questions on his installation, and 12 Volt answered every time.

App module - used cell to start/stop the vehicle. Cell subscription is $39/year. Also has a great feature to find your car via GPS - we have played with it while moving, and it is just as accurate as regular navigation.

I detailed a little bit of it in my 'What did you do to your 5th Generation' thread.

Any specific question, please just let me know.

nathan

Greetings ppv18 -

I indeed have installed one of the 12 Volt systems, and its fantastic. Truly plug-and-play - took me about 30 minutes, and most of that time was removing plastics. PIUs require a connection to the back of the ignition key, which is a B#@$h to get to (and some sharp stuff there, so expect a scrape or two on your hand), but the rest of it is dead easy. There is some time to be spent braining on where to run the wires to keep them out of the way of things, and a little bit more to figure out where to zip tie the boxes, but it couldn't be more simple.

I also did a great deal of research, including the ones on Ebay, etc. In my opinion, the reviews made 12 Volt the best choice. Add to it the ridiculously instructive installation video - one SPECIFICALLY for each car they offer, so yes, they have one for us, and I don't think you will find a better offering on the market. I called them with some specific questions, and they put me on hold to speak with their engineer. As the owner of a couple of businesses, this impressed me.

For the key FOB, this can be activated through IDS (fairly certain forSCAN as well, but can't confirm), which I did at a local diesel shop (they are not shy about using IDS), and had two factory FOBs programmed. The antenna for the FOBs is the same one that is used for the tire pressure sensor, so you already have everything you need to get factory FOBs. AND AND AND, if you find someone to do the IDS, you can also activate the remote start functions in your instrument cluster, including the auto climate control (whatever temp the car is, it automatically gets the cabin to 70 degrees). This is... nice. Finally, because we have the PIU, their system does not flash the markers when the keyFOB is depressed... I am thinking about getting this changed via IDS, but am still on the fence.

My friend and I each ordered one (he has an F-250), and he ordered the app module... needless to say, I ordered one and will be installing it within the next week or so. He had some questions on his installation, and 12 Volt answered every time.

App module - used cell to start/stop the vehicle. Cell subscription is $39/year. Also has a great feature to find your car via GPS - we have played with it while moving, and it is just as accurate as regular navigation.

I detailed a little bit of it in my 'What did you do to your 5th Generation' thread.

Any specific question, please just let me know.

nathan
Best response I've gotten yet. Thank you for all the information. Did you order just the remote start or the exited remotes as well. I was thinking that if I order the extended range remotes I won't have to program anything through IDS or forscan because I don't have any fobs programed right now.

Fair enough, but if you get the FOBs programmed, you also have lock/unlock and trunk for everyday use. Considering the style of the things, it looks 1990s, but it works. Factory remotes through almost any Ford parts site run about $35.00.

I wanted FOBS, so I ordered that kit, and again, will be installing the app module soon after seeing how much my friend liked it. That is 'long range' in that it can be operated anywhere you have cell coverage. You could start it from another state if so inclined - the app module is a 2-way system, so the app will tell you the state of the car (running or not, battery voltage, and again, a really good GPS), for the cost of the module and $39/year.

The long range FOB is only for remote start. Maybe you would be better served with the app instead (?) Get the remote start kit and the app module, and add FOBS later if you want (?)

And just re-read my initial reply. No, I don't work for them, yes I'm a bit of a fan-boy over their stuff.

EDIT: I also installed the hood switch, but if I recall, it's not necessary on the 12 Volt system. It's cheap and easy, so did it anyhow.

Fair enough, but if you get the FOBs programmed, you also have lock/unlock and trunk for everyday use. Considering the style of the things, it looks 1990s, but it works. Factory remotes through almost any Ford parts site run about $35.00.

I wanted FOBS, so I ordered that kit, and again, will be installing the app module soon after seeing how much my friend liked it. That is 'long range' in that it can be operated anywhere you have cell coverage. You could start it from another state if so inclined - the app module is a 2-way system, so the app will tell you the state of the car (running or not, battery voltage, and again, a really good GPS), for the cost of the module and $39/year.

The long range FOB is only for remote start. Maybe you would be better served with the app instead (?) Get the remote start kit and the app module, and add FOBS later if you want (?)

And just re-read my initial reply. No, I don't work for them, yes I'm a bit of a fan-boy over their stuff.

EDIT: I also installed the hood switch, but if I recall, it's not necessary on the 12 Volt system. It's cheap and easy, so did it anyhow.
I just added a hood switch to my 2016, although it wasn't needed for the remote start I installed. I want it to work with the perimeter alarm I turned on with Forscan. Seems that the hood switch needs to be "enabled" but cannot find this in Forscan...some say it must be done in IDS. Have you any knowledge on this?

I did install a 12 Volt Solutions kit in a friend Kia today. Really simple install. Took longer to find the best places to put the module, bundle up the wires...than it did to hook up and program.

Hello Matt -

I have been debating turning on the perimeter alarm. I had it enabled the last time I visited my IDS guy initially, but turned it off before I left that day because... well because I don't idle in strange neighborhoods and feel the need to use it. I also am wondering how annoying it would be if I were to be sitting in my car for whatever reason, and then the thing goes off. I can confirm that with IDS it can be enabled (EDIT: both the alarm and the switch), but don't know anything about the Forscan stuff.

I will be visiting my IDS guy sometime in January to have him enable the controls for the remote start from 12Volt - after I install the 12Volt APP module that is sitting here on my desk. I am very-much looking forward to the auto climate controls. My friend with the F250 has really appreciated it since it turned cold, and had the occasion to use it to cool the cabin last month - it is way better in my opinion than having to remember to set the climate before you shut off (my wife's car has remote start from factory, but no auto climate controls - when its cold we have to remember to set the heater the night before, and that doesn't always happen).

Pleased to hear about how easy the Kia installation was, but not surprised. 12Volt makes a great product, and like you, it took me longer to figure out how to route wires and locate the boxes than plugging it in. I will reiterate however that we have a bunch of plastics to remove on the PIUs, so that took me the most time.

nathan

Hello Matt -

I have been debating turning on the perimeter alarm. I had it enabled the last time I visited my IDS guy initially, but turned it off before I left that day because... well because I don't idle in strange neighborhoods and feel the need to use it. I also am wondering how annoying it would be if I were to be sitting in my car for whatever reason, and then the thing goes off. I can confirm that with IDS it can be enabled (EDIT: both the alarm and the switch), but don't know anything about the Forscan stuff.

I will be visiting my IDS guy sometime in January to have him enable the controls for the remote start from 12Volt - after I install the 12Volt APP module that is sitting here on my desk. I am very-much looking forward to the auto climate controls. My friend with the F250 has really appreciated it since it turned cold, and had the occasion to use it to cool the cabin last month - it is way better in my opinion than having to remember to set the climate before you shut off (my wife's car has remote start from factory, but no auto climate controls - when its cold we have to remember to set the heater the night before, and that doesn't always happen).

Pleased to hear about how easy the Kia installation was, but not surprised. 12Volt makes a great product, and like you, it took me longer to figure out how to route wires and locate the boxes than plugging it in. I will reiterate however that we have a bunch of plastics to remove on the PIUs, so that took me the most time.

nathan
Nathan...the perimeter alarm only monitors the doors, hatch and hood when the vehicle is locked. If one of those is opened, it'll set off the alarm. The dash puts up a warning that the alarm will sound unless the vehicle is started. (Just like the factory system in my SHO)

I was able to turn on the climate control settings in the IPC with Forscan...but in 2016 and later, the remote starts activate the factory remote start. The default setting from Ford is "automatic". The first time I used my remote start (before I had the settings turned on) was a cold morning and the vehicle had the rear defrost and heated mirrors on.

Now....to find out how get this darned hood switch enabled....

Hello Matt -

Thank you for the clarification. I really thought the perimeter alarm was the function with the rear parking sensors when someone approaches the rear of the vehicle it locks the doors and rolls up the windows. (EDIT: now I shall re-enable it!)

With my IDS guy, once the switch was installed, he enabled it, and then the perimeter alarm. I apologize that I don't remember where in IDS he did this.

nathan

Hello Matt -

Thank you for the clarification. I really thought the perimeter alarm was the function with the rear parking sensors when someone approaches the rear of the vehicle it locks the doors and rolls up the windows.

With my IDS guy, once the switch was installed, he enabled it, and then the perimeter alarm. I apologize that I don't remember where in IDS he did this.

nathan
Thanks Nathan....I work with a local Ford dealer who's lead tech said he'd check it out. I'm fairly certain that the switch needs to be enabled with IDS. (I've done a bunch with Forscan...) FWIW, this was the same tech who set up my keyless entry...

Hello All:

Update - I installed the App Module from 12Volt over the holiday, and I'm happy to report that it is operating flawlessly *, and I am quite pleased with the functionality. It's been nice to be able to start the car from anywhere in my house, at work, miles away, etc., and I can further confirm that the GPS feature is quite accurate. Finally, the 2-way functionality confirms to me when the command has been executed.

Notes (both App Module and keyFOB users):
  • if you have added automatic headlights, they will go on when you remote start if ambient light is low.
  • with PIU, there is no option from 12Volt to have parking lights on when started remotely
  • you will have to use either IDS or forSCAN to get the menu in the instrument cluster for remote start, they do not make an OBDII flash programmer
    • Without the menu, you can't set run time, or auto-climate (run time from 12Volt is 30 minutes for the PIs, but you can specify from them a shorter timeframe, or just get into the remote start menu and set it yourself)
    • 12Volt made the PI version extra long run time, before 'secure idle' functionality was available (got that from them directly)
  • Make sure you turn down the radio before you shut off the car - it goes back on with the remote start command at the previous volume
EDIT 1: I used 3M VHB to mount the module itself to the plastic panel underneath the headlight switch - more than enough room there, flat surface, and if you've ever used VHB, you know its not going to come loose.

EDIT 2: I also contacted my insurance company to tell them I have tracking in the vehicle now. They were very specific to ask me if it was '...a subscription-based tracking service...' and since I pay $39/year for the app with GPS, I was able to say 'yes'. This negates (and a little bit more) the yearly cost of the app for me.

You can set the screen to show your vehicle, but they don't have a PIU (wheels/trim) option, which is a bit of a bummer. That's about all that makes it to the 'cons' list for me. I am going to ask after this with 12Volt, but I don't think they have any say in this...

now the '*': I received a push notification on the app that there was a problem with the system, and it took nearly a day for them to resolve. I very-much like the fact that they pushed the info rather than me having to figure out whether or not it was my screwing something up, or on their end. I received a second notification when they had the system back operational.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday.

nathan

Back