Has anyone replaced their air ride shocks with theMonroe Specialty Shock Absorber | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone replaced their air ride shocks with theMonroe Specialty Shock Absorber

jremington59

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's
My 2000 Limited back shocks have a couple rot holes and it had the air ride prior. I saw these Monroe Specialty Shock Absorber shocks on Rock Auto. Has anyone tried them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yikes!!!

$336 bucks for ONE shock??! MUST be pretty special.

Why not put in the coil over shocks and ditch air ride?

I called Monroe and found out these shocks work with your existing compressor and equipment. When I bought this one the shocks had been replaced by a basic set. I have no idea if the compressor or hoses are still there. Monroes info also states that these are only for 96 thru 1998, although RA says they fit on a 2000 also. If nothing else Monroe sent me the directions to shut off that damn check suspension light if anyone wants it.

I'm more thinking these might be better. But they say for 2000 w/o ride control but I'm assuming that doesn't really mean a lot.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=61802&cc=1362462

OP's link pointed to a "Monroe Specialty Shock Absorber" at Amazon that states $335.99 for the unit. Kinda' pricey if you aks me.

Chef Duane
I saw these Monroe Specialty Shock Absorber shocks on Rock Auto.
Good ol' VigLink, no telling where it'll take you. ;)

Which ones do you suggest?

The ones I have, Monroe Sensatrac Load Adjust.
At first they're very firm and make the rear quite high.
But after about a week, they level off. After about a month, they ride very nice.

They're a much firmer ride than your average shock, but I prefer the firmness.
They also add 1200 Lbs of weight carrying in the back, or something along those lines.
I got about an inch to an inch and a half lift from them too. :D

I already have the extra leaf and the ass end is up there and quite stiff. I thought the air might make it a little softer. I'm not much of a pro on shocks.

If you added already a leaf, DON'T add any load-leveling springs. You will ride on rocks.
You can try a monotube shock - they are as smooth as you OE air shocks (same principle, no compressor).
KYB Gas-A-Just for example. Or Bilstein.

Seeing's I can't make up my mind on the rear shocks I got these for the front and a moog universal joint. I had a coupon for 50 dollars off so I got all three for 70 dollars. It's like buy one get one free on the shocks. And I just love the lifetime warranty. I wonder how many explorers these shocks will see, lol? That's the great thing about 2nd gen explorers and lifetime parts.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...2/19710566-P?navigationPath=L1*14921|L2*15010

I have those Sensa-trac on the front on my Explorer. Horrible on sideways movements (overpowered by the torsion bar), squishy while braking, fast and small amplitude vibration on some highway stretches...
Had same on rear (buy 3 get one free deal) and replaced them in just 2 weeks - they where even worse on rear.

I am planning to replace them as soon as it gets warmer.

Damn, I have a friend that has them on his Ford truck and he absolutely loves them. I guess I'll give them a try at 25 bucks a piece if I don't like them I'll change them. The ones I have now are rotted through so they will be better than what's there now....

I have those Sensa-trac on the front on my Explorer. Horrible on sideways movements (overpowered by the torsion bar), squishy while braking, fast and small amplitude vibration on some highway stretches...
Had same on rear (buy 3 get one free deal) and replaced them in just 2 weeks - they where even worse on rear.

I am planning to replace them as soon as it gets warmer.

Damn, I have a friend that has them on his Ford truck and he absolutely loves them. I guess I'll give them a try at 25 bucks a piece if I don't like them I'll change them. The ones I have now are rotted through so they will be better than what's there now....
I've been using the same Sensa-Trac's since 4/09 on my ST and love them. They tend to be soft for aggressive driving, with noticeable front brake dive and cornering roll. For comfort and a "cushy" ride they can't be beat IMO. Previously tried Bilstein HD's and the firmer Reflex when they were available. Awesome control and handling, just too firm for my liking. Use Monroe's 90 day "Safe & Sound® Guarantee" to your advantage if you don't like them. Details linked below.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/support/Safe-and-Sound-Guarantee/

I guess you are right, it depends a lot of the driving style.
I hate mine's (roll and dive) and can't wait to replace them with KYB Gas-A-Just (matching what I have on rear).

I put the Sensa-trac's on the front today and I really like them. Feels like brand new front tires. I don't notice any squishing in the front while braking. I wonder if my vehicle being so high in the rear end puts more weight down on them so I don't notice it?

Now to figure what to do with this stiff ass end. I don't see any way to take the pressure off the leaf springs without using air. But then that's going to bring it up higher

Back