2000 Limited 5.0 with air ride

jremington59

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's
I bought one of these and the previous owner appears to have replaced the shocks with just plain shocks. I see Rock Auto has a Monroe replacement but just for the rear. Were the rear shocks the only ones air equipped? I'm sick of looking at the check air ride light on the dash, and the stiff ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the air ride was just for the rear. it's an auto-leveling thing and it is very problematic, that's why most people replace the air-shocks with regular ones once the system gives them trouble. if I were you, i'd just remove the bulb. (OCD be damned...)

plus the ride isn't that good anyway. more about the leaf springs than the shocks. I have KYB Gas Adjusts on my '01 EB and i'm pretty happy with the ride (all things considered).

I believe the air ride was just for the rear. it's an auto-leveling thing and it is very problematic, that's why most people replace the air-shocks with regular ones once the system gives them trouble. if I were you, i'd just remove the bulb. (OCD be damned...)

plus the ride isn't that good anyway. more about the leaf springs than the shocks. I have KYB Gas Adjusts on my '01 EB and i'm pretty happy with the ride (all things considered).

Koda, you're somewhat correct.

Air ride shocks were at the back only from 98-2001.
The 95-97 model years also had air ride shocks at the front.

However, Koda is right that it's easiest to replace them with normal shocks.
Or if you want some lift in the rear, get the sensatrac load adjusting ones. Those will help towing sag.

I'm beginning to think I may have OCD, LOL. All those little things bug me.....

My problem is the ass end is very stiff and it's much higher than my 97. I hit a pot hole on a curve on a dirt road the other day and it wheel hopped and started to come around. For all I know the previous owner used a longer shock or maybe they have frozen up. I'll get the quirks worked out of this one sooner or later I guess.

I'm beginning to think I may have OCD, LOL. All those little things bug me.....

My problem is the ass end is very stiff and it's much higher than my 97. I hit a pot hole on a curve on a dirt road the other day and it wheel hopped and started to come around. For all I know the previous owner used a longer shock or maybe they have frozen up. I'll get the quirks worked out of this one sooner or later I guess.

unless the wrong shocks were installed (or they're frozen, which would give an absolutely horrible ride) a shock should have zero effect on ride height.

The rear shocks appear to be working but the problem is the front. The eighth inch of rust on the shaft of the shock is a dead giveaway, lol.

The rear shocks appear to be working but the problem is the front. The eighth inch of rust on the shaft of the shock is a dead giveaway, lol.

yeah, that's never a good sign.

For what it's worth, I have a late 98 Limited with front and rear ARC.
The system is still functional, but had to replace the shocks because of leaks. Sadly, aftermarket air shocks don't have the electrically operated internal valve, so they don't provide the softer ride in the 'on-road' switch position anymore.

Koda, you're somewhat correct.

Air ride shocks were at the back only from 98-2001.
The 95-97 model years also had air ride shocks at the front.

However, Koda is right that it's easiest to replace them with normal shocks.
Or if you want some lift in the rear, get the sensatrac load adjusting ones. Those will help towing sag.

I'm not sure what the deal is with this rig, but my wife and I were cruising 75 down the interstate and it felt like it wanted to sway back and forth. It was kind of spooky. The ass of this rig is way up in the air and real stiff. I'm wondering if the shocks on it aren't way to long for the truck. Does anyone else have a 200 with the rear way up? It sits almost a foot taller than my 97.

I'm not sure what the deal is with this rig, but my wife and I were cruising 75 down the interstate and it felt like it wanted to sway back and forth. It was kind of spooky. The ass of this rig is way up in the air and real stiff. I'm wondering if the shocks on it aren't way to long for the truck. Does anyone else have a 200 with the rear way up? It sits almost a foot taller than my 97.

If they aren't the Monroe Sensatrac Load Adjust shocks in the back, or a shock with a coil around it, it sounds like someone put on longer shocks. However, a shock wouldn't hold the rear end up unless they were way too long even at fully compressed.

Just spend some cash and get new shocks. It will save you a ton of headaches.

Maybe the previous owner added shackles or add-a-leafs? The 99-01 Limiteds do sit a little higher than the previous years, but not a full foot.

Back