Has anyone rewired the high beams to go on with low beams and fogs on '02 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone rewired the high beams to go on with low beams and fogs on '02 XLT?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good question

balckexplorer

actually the low beams stay on with high beams. [of course fogs go out]
that is pretty nice.

in some of ford's brochures it shows ALL front lights on!

i would like to make this mod also, does ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE???

the switch to turn fogs on is all part of headlight switch, similar to f150/expedition.

PLEASE don't anyone say "da it ain't legal to have 'em on with high beams"

we are only asking a question, of course no one here would EVER bend the law.

it shouldn't be a crime to want to see at night!

peter

The low beams do not stay on. They turn off and only the high beams stay on. It is to give the illusion of it being brighter. I tried it already. This is for a '02 XLT

What you want is a relay made by KC HiLites. Part # 6314. Quad Beam Power Lighting. $20.oo
Takes about 15 Min. to install.
Only works w/9005-6 type lights.
Oh ya, It IS legal in all 50 States.

Will try that. Thanks

balckexplorer

perhaps the california spec explorer does not have the hi/low feature.
LOL

i'm not looking for a debate, however i also just double checked mine, along with my digital camera.

i am correct.
on my '02 explorer 4 door 4x4, on high beam setting, BOTH low beam and high beams are on.

i have also seen this in writing in some ford brochure,i can't find it at the moment.

if your lights don't do this have ford look at it under warranty.
the new high beams are most excellent for d.o.t. lights.

pictures of both lights working [from ford] at link

http://www.fordtruckworld.com/mygallery.asp?id=4818

peter

It would really surprise me if the Mfg.s made both beams come on at the same time. The reason the lows go out is to direct your line of sight farther down the road. If you have aftermarket fogs you will notice that you seem to see better farther if the fogs are out when the high beams are on. For most applications, not high speed touring, all the lights you can get the better.
XLT Sport..Just reread your post and it seems Ford has indeed wised-up to the "more is better" philosphy.

can anyone answer the original question??

peter

I checked KC Hilites and it may or may not work. If it is a negative switch then, it will not work. If anyone can check if the 2002 has a negative or positive switch then, I sure would appreciate it.

balck explorer

i tried to e-mail you, but for some reason you won't accept e-mail attempts from this site. ??? why is that?

anyway i would like to know if your low beams DO in fact come on with your high beams ??

peter

I really want to do this and I see this post is about 8 years old hahah any accomplish this having the high/low and fog light all be on at once? I now its a relay that I need some pics would be nice of this...

As I said before, you really dont want your high beams and lows on together. I did it on my Mounty and it ruins your long range vision.
However high beam and fog is alright. Check out the "stickys" and see how....

Urs isnt the same year as mine when i turn on my high beams now my lows stay on urs is a dif gen i can have my lows and fogs on but when i turn the highs on my fogs go off simultaneously also im running hids all around so it changes everything when i put put low and high beam on lights up the entire road and then some

I just hope you will get a huge fine for blinding the incoming traffic.

its called dimming your lights, Of corse we dont want to blind oncoming traffic, but i sure as hell want to see further than 200 feet when im buzzing down the highway at 60 mph in the pitch dark. Im doing this mod to go along with my full set of 55w HIDs. Im actualy going to indipendantly wire my foglights onto a new and seperate ciruct. along with the 9inch 75w HID off road lights im getting.

I am not sure how this would blind anyone. That is if you dim your lights? On my Mounty the headlight is a single high/low bulb so impossible. But I would like to have the fogs and highs together.

STU

my intension is not to blind any body i love lighting and love that in pitch black with my low/highs on it looks like day. I just want it so that I still get the yellow foglights still on so it lights up more of the side of the road and in hazardous conditions I will much better off than someone with one bulb on becasue there afraid of getting a ticket or dont want to blind any one. poor baby's. you only live once and i got a pba card so im set hahahahah

zerodevil= how much did you find those off road lights for? Ive looked around and wanted to mount some hideways behind my grill but really want hids but all the ones i found were like 400 and up, and thats without a set mounting system..

i actualy got them from a friend who rolled his off road jeep, hes getting a bunch of LED bars and was selling them for about a hundred and fifty for the two fo them. I will tackle this project about getting the fogs to stay on the next time i have a nice sunny day (alaskas had seatle weather where ive been at all summer long)

I have an '02 and the low beams stay on with the high beams. The fogs stay on because they are after market and wired through a relay to come on with the parking lights. I guess if I want the fogs to turn off with the high beams I would add a normally closed relay tied into the high beam circuit.

I apologize for the size of the pics. This is my first time using photobucket, all my other pictures are stored on the forum and are resized automatically. I don't know how to resize photo on photobucket. Having said that......

Low beams:

100_6892.jpg

High beams:

100_6893.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just took some pics with updated hids i got:

Fogs + Running Lights

IMG_1414.jpg

Fogs + Low Beams

IMG_1415.jpg

High Beam + Low Beam

IMG_1417.jpg

Fogs are 35w 10k, lows are 35w 20k, and highs are 55w 12k, let me know what you think...

I think once i wire it so I can run them all at once you will be able to tan at night in front of my X hahaha...

Back