hatched91 going from leafs to coils | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hatched91 going from leafs to coils

hi everyone. i had a previous sas thread where i used a jeep dana44 with leafs. i plan on using the same jeep axle but with coils. here's the list i think i'll get.

5.5" wild horses coils
78 bronco coil seats
78 bronco radius arms
78 bronco radius arm brackets
78 bronco coil spring buckets
78 bronco track bar (modified if needed)

i should be getting most of my parts by next weekend. i have some questions that would be great to have answered before i start.

i was wondering about radius arms, do they need to be extended?
what does "wristed" mean?
would i have any problems using coils on my jeep wagoneer dana 44 axle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well the gear box barely fits and the steering shaft rubs on the exhaust manifold. This is after cutting up the a/c bracket and removing the compressor. I think i'm just going to go with a toyota power steering box and get a new a/c bracket and retain a/c. I ordered a relocation kit from summit for the oil filter, but i'll just send it back!

haha. I sent the kit back. I'm going with a toyota IFS box and a pitman arm from sky-manufacturing. They sell one that is reamed to fit the draglink TRE from Parts Mike's TRE kit. That way it's bolt on the steering box, weld up the draglink, and combine steering shafts to work. It should work great when it's finished.

well i figured i'd keep the thread updated. I spaced out the coil buckets, painted the frame with POR gloss black, installed an IFS toyota steering gear box, had a custom power steering line made, and a custom pitman arm. i also painted up the draglink, tierod, and trackbar.

here's the pics.
draglink,tie rod and trac bar

custom steering line

custom pitman arm

spaced out coil buckets with 2x6" rectangular tube .250 wall

hey i've got a question. i'm about ready to design some homemade radius arm drop brackets. Should the radius arms be as level as possible? Is the caster alignment the reason people drop them level?

Back