hatched91 going from leafs to coils | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hatched91 going from leafs to coils

hi everyone. i had a previous sas thread where i used a jeep dana44 with leafs. i plan on using the same jeep axle but with coils. here's the list i think i'll get.

5.5" wild horses coils
78 bronco coil seats
78 bronco radius arms
78 bronco radius arm brackets
78 bronco coil spring buckets
78 bronco track bar (modified if needed)

i should be getting most of my parts by next weekend. i have some questions that would be great to have answered before i start.

i was wondering about radius arms, do they need to be extended?
what does "wristed" mean?
would i have any problems using coils on my jeep wagoneer dana 44 axle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i'm going v8 here in a couple of weeks, so i'll just grind off and redo the buckets after the v8 is in so i have an idea of ride height with the weight of the v8 and auto trans.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

thanks. 410 fortune has answered just about every question i've had. I think i'll be okay with the swap, it's my first motor swap, but everything is supposed to plug in with no wire splicing, and i've got a few mustang guys that will help so hopefully it will go fairly smoothly.

thanks, 410 fortune has answered a lot of questions and this is supposed to be a straight up bolt in, plug and play swap, so it should go fairly smoothly.

i just thought it was pretty cool and i too will travel that road..:)

well i made sure my steering box was tight and fully adjusted, and put on a steering stabilizer. I can't figure out why it wants to pull all over the road. Also, i still have some play in my steering, can't figure out waht it is. Sometimes the steeringwheel will be straight and the truck will be straight, other times it will be about 40 degrees one way or the other and going straight down the road. Any suggestions? I think the caster maybe a problem, although it looks fairly vertical.

okay i got a steering stabilizer on but i still have issues. The truck wants to pull all over the road and will not go straight without me fighting it constantly. Could it be the caster? can you guys tell if it's okay from the pictures? I don't know if its supposed to be negative or positive or zero. From the looks, i think it might be slightly negative, if not zero.

Well, i installed a steering stabilizer, and i can't figure out why the truck still pulls all over the road. It will not go straight down the road without me constantly fighting it. I think it may be the caster angle, i'm not sure. It looks to be slightly negative, if not zero. Any suggestions?

oops sorry, my computer was messed up. but you can get the idea of the problem i'm having haha.

not enough caster and how paralell are your axle and drag link?

Not very parallel. I'd have to say my draglink is about 30 to 45 degrees from the axle. I think i'll build some custom drop brackets to drop the radius arms about 3" down. How parallel should the radius arms be to the ground?

ok im not an expert but from what i understand..the closer to paralell the drag link is to the tie rod the better it will handle. i think you ideal caster angle is 7* but dont hold me to that.

BTW, not to sound like a d!ck but it might be because you aligned it yourself...i know if i did it myself it would most likly roll over and set its self on fire...go to a shop and see what they say...

well considering it's a completely custom front end, i don't know if it can be aligned, but i can always try. I have a couple of friends that work at NTB, i'll see if they can get me in and get a rough idea.

7 degrees negative or positive? i think positive would mean that lower balljoint would stick out more than the upper, causing a wheel-barrow effect, rathern than neutral(zero degrees) or negative which would more likely let the road pull the tires, so i've been told. I think i'll have a buddy of mine who works at NTB put it up on the rack and see where it should be.

Yea put it on the rack and get some measurements. You cant "eyeball it" and get it right if you dont know were you're starting from to begin with. :)

i'm not trying to get a picture perfect alignment, but i think even with eyeballing i can get it to where it doesn't pull all over the place. I am going to have ntb check it wednesday evening.

the top bj has to point to the rear of the truck...imagine the upper and lower bj's having a line straight through them...0 degrees, tilt the upper toward the rear 7*

yeah, that's what i've been told from a friend. If anything, i think it's zero or positive. I have an appt at NTB at 6:00pm tomorrow for an alignment check. I'll see how out of alignment it is then.

thanks, that's what i've been told by friends. They said it was positive caster if the upper balljoint points backwards. So yeah, 7 degrees positive caster. i've got an appt at NTB at 6pm tomorrow, i guess i'll see where everything is at then...if they will look at it.

Back