hate to beat a dead horse, but.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hate to beat a dead horse, but....

eckerd_explorer

Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 30" XTR's
i've read over and over about the tranny problems that explorers have. i'm picking up my 96 4.0 xlt this afternoon and it has 68 k on the engine. i checked out all the fluids and and the trans fluid looked as if it hadn't been changed in a while. the explorer does not have a tow package on it so i'm pretty sure that it hasn't been under any load except for daily use. now i'm pretty sure that the fluid is supposed to be changed every 21k or so? i told the dealer to change the fluid and filter and i'n in the process of acquiring a tranny cooler. the question is, if i get the fluid and filter changed and install the tranny cooler will i be set to go for a while?
i'm going to be driving from portland oregon to tampa florida in august and probably towing a small light weight trailer aswell. i'm wanting to prevent things from going bad in the long haul. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say do what you are doing and you should be all set. A small trailer such as ??? Weight?

Trans life is a factor of so many different things.... driving habits, use and care, any offroad use etc, towing (ouch) and most of all FATE. I have an A4LD with 210K, used only on road, and not exactly a lot of ATF changes (2x). FATE.

If its still possible, I'd have the whole thing flushed out, or atleast an ENTIRE fluid change. Not just the pan and filter, but you should be ok.

thanks a lot guys.

I'd still be leary. I know of people who have done the recomended dealer maintenance and haven't abused the Explorer at all (no towing, never off road, and a light foot) that have had transmissions fail. Then my buddy has one with 150k, with no maintenance and his tranny is still orginal. Like Glacier said. It's all fate. I wouldn't pull anything, or do anything stressful to an Explroer v6. I'd look for a V8 if this will see any hard use, or regular towing. I guess you have to ask yourself "Are you feeling lucky?" I wasn't.

Back