Have a 97 explorer doing work to it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Have a 97 explorer doing work to it

89Fords

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey guys! just got myself a explorer, and I love it. Im doing the timing chains, and im wondering if it is absolutely necessary to use the tools suggested in the repair manual to lock the cams in place, or is it possible for me to fabricate my own tools? Also, I dont know if my explorer is a sport, a xlt, xl, limited, but im sure it is not a eddie bauer, so the question is how do i find out which one of the models it is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The way I did my 2000 4.0 SOHC was use vise grips to hold the cam in place. As I did each cam seperatly so that way I did not get anything out of time.

The kit is like 200.00 or so to get just to do the timing chains UNLESS your local parts store has a rental kit.

As for the edition, call your local ford or maybe someone here can point you in the right direction.

Sport is 2 doors. All others are trim levels on 4-door Explorers, starting with XL, through XLT, Eddie, to Limited being the fanciest.
If someone removed the badge from the tail gate, this link should help: http://www.cars.com/ford/explorer/1997/snapshot

Also, I dont know if my explorer is a sport, a xlt, xl, limited, but im sure it is not a eddie bauer, so the question is how do i find out which one of the models it is?

Nice! Came up with all the correct features of my '98 Limited, down to the last detail. Even listed the build date. Just one problem: Identified it as XLT trim....
Great time saver nevertheless if one is considering purchasing a vehicle listed for sale on Autotrader or some such.

This "may" work and provide you the requested info. Click vehicle, enter VIN, and click minor features.

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Perfect, that Etis lookup worked. Its a xl. As far as the cams go, Im scared of using makeshift tools, so I guess i just am going to have to rent one out somewhere.

Back