Having some PITA issues with my Trac - need some advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Having some PITA issues with my Trac - need some advice

neon_boy82

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport trac
Hi guys. I've tried doing all the research I could on my problems but couldn't really find the answers to my questions. None of these things are life threatening but are annoying enough to be an issue.

1. How do I get the backseat interior lights to come on when I open the door? The light comes on of you use the switches but only the front seat light comes on when any door is opened.

2. I'm having a problem with my stereo. It is an aftermarket Sony deck and from time to time it will reset itself when I start the truck. It's like there is a short in the power wire but I have checked all the fuses and wires for the deck and all is good.

3. Sometimes when I turn the key to start the truck the ignition will pause for a second and the doors lock before it resumes cranking and starts.

4. Last problem - The driver's door sags a bit like the door pins are worn and it makes it hard to latch the door all the way, you really have to slam it to get it closed. Is this something that can be fixed by the backyard mechanic of would I be better off taking ot to a body shop?

Thanks for any ideas about my issues.

Hi guys. I've tried doing all the research I could on my problems but couldn't really find the answers to my questions. None of these things are life threatening but are annoying enough to be an issue.

1. How do I get the backseat interior lights to come on when I open the door? The light comes on of you use the switches but only the front seat light comes on when any door is opened.
There are 3 lamps in the domes, 1 courtesy and 2 map. Are you saying the courtesy comes on with the dash "dimmer" wheel or only the maps come on when you toggle the switches? Checked the bulb in the center lamp?

2. I'm having a problem with my stereo. It is an aftermarket Sony deck and from time to time it will reset itself when I start the truck. It's like there is a short in the power wire but I have checked all the fuses and wires for the deck and all is good.
I'd say you need to check the power wiring to the head unit. If the installer tied both 12V wires to the same "HOT IN RUN & ACCESSORY" wire it will lose power in "START" . The "memory" wire should be on a 12V CONSTANT circuit.

3. Sometimes when I turn the key to start the truck the ignition will pause for a second and the doors lock before it resumes cranking and starts.
Battery on it's last leg? Sounds like low voltage in the high amp draw "START" position

4. Last problem - The driver's door sags a bit like the door pins are worn and it makes it hard to latch the door all the way, you really have to slam it to get it closed. Is this something that can be fixed by the backyard mechanic of would I be better off taking to to a body shop?
IDK if replacement pins are available or not. They'd probably be the same as ones for a Ranger .... guessing here. may require hinge replacement and that's a bit difficult for the average backyard mechanic to do by themselves. The door has to to be properlu supported while changing the hinge and the bolts are a PITA to access. If the door isn't supported properly and slips it can FUBAR the other hinge, the mounting surface or the wiring in the flexible boot.

Thanks for any ideas about my issues.

Thanks for your input ncranchero. I think the centre light in the back is burnt out. The 2 map lights come on when the switches are pushed but i haven't seen a centre light. I didn't realize there were 3 lamps. As for the starting thing and the radio thing I suspected a bad battery was causing both issues because they both happen infrequently. I had it tested a while ago and was told it was good but I think they might be wrong. I didn't notice any poor starting issues last winter tho. I guess the only thing to do would be replace the battery and see if the issues still happen. Any advice on battery testing proccedures? Thanks.

Back