• Register Today It's free!

Hd Radio in Canada

Markie57

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
I have a 2013 Limited Explorer with premium Sony Radio. I live in Windsor Ontario, Canada. We are just accross from Detroit with many Hd fm radio stations. I don't get Hd on my radio yet friends with the same radio an MFT in Mustangs, Taurus, and Edge all receive them. The dealer said Ford only told them to compare my vehicle to another similar Explorer and since it doesn't receive it either, nothing is wrong with the radio. What a croc ! Dealer thinks it must be a firmware issue with Explorers in Canada. Anyone getting Hd in Canada on an Explorer ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope just like SYNC services and Vehicle Health Report.

What makes it worse is there no official reason why.

Even on this forum its been asked 10X and each time its never answered.

Nope just like SYNC services and Vehicle Health Report.

What makes it worse is there no official reason why.

Even on this forum its been asked 10X and each time its never answered.

That's because the provider, Sirius Canada, is the culprit. When you buy your car, it's delivered with the US connection, but upon the 6-month registration it then goes to Sirius Canada - all they provide is minimal services (just music but not data). Not ETA for Sirius Canada expanding their services either.

Not entirely true, I have a Canadian purchased vehicle and Im on US Sirius account with working Travel Link.

hey Sgt,
That's probably because you signed up for a US account! Can't see why we can't. Same as the Extended Warranties etc..... They'll sell you anything as long as you have da cash!!!!!!

Not entirely true, I have a Canadian purchased vehicle and Im on US Sirius account with working Travel Link.

Wish I had known that. I wonder if there's any grief once you've connected to the Canadian side when trying to link up to the US side?

Now, where is Verizon?!!

That's because the provider, Sirius Canada, is the culprit. When you buy your car, it's delivered with the US connection, but upon the 6-month registration it then goes to Sirius Canada - all they provide is minimal services (just music but not data). Not ETA for Sirius Canada expanding their services either.
I don't think that is correct. Your dealer activates the 6 month subscription when the vehicle is sold to you. Therefore, being in Canada, it comes under SiriusXM Canada. It even shows the inital 6 month subscription start date on my Canadian account.

Peter

I don't think that is correct. Your dealer activates the 6 month subscription when the vehicle is sold to you. Therefore, being in Canada, it comes under SiriusXM Canada. It even shows the inital 6 month subscription start date on my Canadian account.

Peter

Sorry Peter but I disagree - Sirius XM Canada does not provide features/functions that are working with the purchase. Why on earth would they initially supply things like traffic information/weather and other features, then NOT provide it for an ongoing ownership? Unless my vehicle was an anomaly because it was more extensively factory road tested before delivery, something is amiss. Did you notice whether your vehicle had the data portion working when you bought it? Is this something that applies to 2013 (and later) models?

Sorry Peter but I disagree - Sirius XM Canada does not provide features/functions that are working with the purchase. Why on earth would they initially supply things like traffic information/weather and other features, then NOT provide it for an ongoing ownership? Unless my vehicle was an anomaly because it was more extensively factory road tested before delivery, something is amiss. Did you notice whether your vehicle had the data portion working when you bought it? Is this something that applies to 2013 (and later) models?
When I got my 2011 Explorer it did not have SYNC Services (taffic info, weather etc.) Just the SiruisXM radio. SYNC Services is not available in Canada but occasionally they have had 1 or 2 week specials where it has been available. I found that although local movies, gas stations (no prices) were shown, the weather was for, I believe, Malone, N.Y. In any case it is a paid subscription service and I doubt I'd have much use for it.

Peter

When I got my 2011 Explorer it did not have SYNC Services (taffic info, weather etc.) Just the SiruisXM radio. SYNC Services is not available in Canada but occasionally they have had 1 or 2 week specials where it has been available. I found that although local movies, gas stations (no prices) were shown, the weather was for, I believe, Malone, N.Y. In any case it is a paid subscription service and I doubt I'd have much use for it.

Peter

Understood about your perspective, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth by having had the services working for 6 months (continuous - not intermittent), then have them yanked. Now, this is Sirius' issue, which in my mind will now make me think twice before dealing with their services in the future. For me, when I commute (especially through the GTA/Toronto) or take long drives through Canada or the US it's terrible to get stuck in road construction which traffic services should be able make me aware of. Now I've got to consider purchasing a Garmin/TomTom or use the more expensive data options on a cellphone.

I bought my Sport here in Fredericton. I have SIRIUS travel link through my free 6 mos subscription. Weather, Sports, Movies and Gas Prices. Not sure why we can't get it here in Canada. Privacy issues I'm sure is the reason. Anyway. I don't use it enough to really care. Once my subscription is up I won't be renewing. I have Spotify on my iPhone and don't really need anything else. I download all my music on my phone and then use the offline feature when I'm out and about. Works great and only costs 5 bucks a month. ;)

Well, subscription ran out today! Still getting some of the channels. Must be a free preview. Wont be signing up again unless it's free

The Sirius Customer Service people I spoke with stated its not something advertised on the Canadian Website but they know it works in the major Metro Canadian Cities.

The Traffic data isnt as quickly updated as it is in the major US cities, so if a back up or traffic incident has cleared the Travel Link traffic is slower to update.

Weather is the only info thats not setup for Canada.

I think if your in a Major Canadian City and you travel or work in the US a lot then its worth the additional cost.

In the Metro Phoenix and Los Angles areas I have found it to be very useful.

Well, subscription ran out today! Still getting some of the channels. Must be a free preview. Wont be signing up again unless it's free

It can take a few days for the services to stop.

Joke is, now that it's end of August, the data services are back and running - at least temporarily.

Back