Head Gasket! (Ouch!!!) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Head Gasket! (Ouch!!!)

I've been looking at my buddy's ranger too long. its actually the OHV, not SOHC. (figures its vin x and not e).

sorry for the misinformation.

THIS IS NOT AN OHV ENGINE, IT IS A SOHC! THEY ARE COMPLETLY DIFFERENT INSIDE! THERE IS NOT "A" TIMING CHAIN THERE ARE THREE! The passenger side chain is on the backside of the engine,...... Never mind...

I love it when people give advice on an engine they know nothing about.

:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

THIS IS NOT AN OHV ENGINE, IT IS A SOHC! THEY ARE COMPLETLY DIFFERENT INSIDE! THERE IS NOT "A" TIMING CHAIN THERE ARE THREE! The passenger side chain is on the backside of the engine,...... Never mind...

I love it when people give advice on an engine they know nothing about.

Nah man I was mistaken at first. It is an ohv. my friends is the SOHC, I was looking at that motor for far too long. Its Vin X not E.

OK, she's back together. running well enough, still not perfectly. But I have a few questions reguarding why I even had to do this.

first off, I had NO smoke emitting from my exhaust, so there was NO oil inside the combustion aspect of the motor.. When I got to both gaskets.. the gaskets looked fine. (I even steam cleaned the motor prior to the replacement and saw no oil leak after about 50 *lightly* driven miles).

I replaced the fuel Injectors, and I'm wondering if that was my real culprit. (Number 3 and 6 low compression - rough Idle) I hate to monday morning quarterback - but its just been bothering me why I had SOME signs (HC's in the radiator - detected by that same shop - who "passed" the smog check it had 4 days before).

The engine was running fine until compression dropped in the number 3 and number 6 cyl SIMUTANEOUSLY (I dont see how both gaskets could've gone at once.. but its possible I presume). I also had a diagnostic done - it was only a number 3 cyl. misfire. with a bank 2 lean code with it.

Was the shop I took it to just trying to gouge me for un-needed work? Thinking that I was not mechanically inclined enough to figure it out on my own?

Any input here would be appreciated.

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen or heard a shop try to rake someone over the coals but I'm not sure if the injectors could have caused the problem. Maybe because of uneven fuel distribution? Maybe a combination of problems? Maybe someone else can ring in on this one. I should probably clean or replace my injectors actually, maybe I'll do that down the line. Either way I'm glad you got it all back together and running.

I had a cyl 1 misfire code, turned out to be my coil pack was bad, replaced it with a junkyard special and havn't looked back...just a thought

OK, she's back together. running well enough, still not perfectly. But I have a few questions reguarding why I even had to do this.

first off, I had NO smoke emitting from my exhaust, so there was NO oil inside the combustion aspect of the motor.. When I got to both gaskets.. the gaskets looked fine. (I even steam cleaned the motor prior to the replacement and saw no oil leak after about 50 *lightly* driven miles).

I replaced the fuel Injectors, and I'm wondering if that was my real culprit. (Number 3 and 6 low compression - rough Idle) I hate to monday morning quarterback - but its just been bothering me why I had SOME signs (HC's in the radiator - detected by that same shop - who "passed" the smog check it had 4 days before).

The engine was running fine until compression dropped in the number 3 and number 6 cyl SIMUTANEOUSLY (I dont see how both gaskets could've gone at once.. but its possible I presume). I also had a diagnostic done - it was only a number 3 cyl. misfire. with a bank 2 lean code with it.

Was the shop I took it to just trying to gouge me for un-needed work? Thinking that I was not mechanically inclined enough to figure it out on my own?

Any input here would be appreciated.

Wow, all that work for nothing.

How long did it take? Did you find you had a mysterious coolant leak after overheating?

I would be inclined to agree with Biggs92EB, sounds like a coil/wire/spark plug issue. After I did the upper intake, lower intake, water pump, T-stat, and about everything else under $&$*^&@*^& hood, my engine ran like shiite. Turned out the shop had given me a bad pack of spark plugs- all of the electrode shrouds were loose and sliding, completely negating the gap. I would seriously check the spark plugs, the wires (heck you can buy some cheapo wires and try them), and THEN try the coil pack last. I would imagine it would be more along those lines.
Good luck

Back