• Register Today It's free!

Head Gasket

wezsitat

Reaction score
City, State
North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Somebody please tell me that the brownish foam on my oil filler cap is not indicating a blown head gasket...

I did the search and know the answer, so just lie to me.

The mechanic estimated $700-$1000 for the job. Is that outrageous or about normal?

SW

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yeah that’s normal, the foam is from high-horsepower combustion and the fact that it’s brown means your trucks got to take a CRAP. Haha, get it a DIAPER.

Ok, weird, unintellecutalness aside...

I’m not sure if what foam in the oil filler means... coolant/water?

Some of the old-timers could should be able to chime in on this one...

But the real reason why I posted is... why can’t you do this yourself? :D

$700-$1000 seems WAY HIGH for parts that cost <$150... And that’s for an ENTIRE engine seal kit.

New headbolts + gasket kit = do it yourself if you can. If not, start looking at v8 conversions... haha kidding.

Gasket

I'm not really a great mechanic. Changing the oil on my SUV is sometimes a challenge. I'll have to ask my buddy if he has every done it before. It's depressing because I just had the computer replaced in June 05. I'm tired of putting money into this thing...

Yeah, thats usually how these things go.

If you got the confidence in it, get a good manual and do it. Its pretty straight forward, becareful when removing the head bolts and dont reuse them! new ones are cheap. You will be more then happy you're when finished =)

but, im not sure if your issue is head-gasket related, it could be a complete other issue.

Take it to another mechanic!

Looking at the oil fill cap will not tell you if you have a blown head gasket. The most common cause of the brown foamy oil on the underside of the cap is due to condensation. If the vehicle is driven short distances and doesn't reach opperating tempature it will develope condensation inside the engine. This is a more common occurance in the winter.

Now back to the head gasket. If you think that the vehicle has a blow head gasket your mechanic needs to perform a block test. This is a chemical test performed by exposing a CO2 sensitive chemical to the cooling system (through the radiator). If the head gasket is blown it will allow exhaust gases to enter the cooling system. If exhaust gases are present in the cooling system the chemical will react to the CO2 and change color. This is the simplest and most effective way to test a vehicle for a blown head gasket.

^^ bada bing bada boom

[
Now back to the head gasket. If you think that the vehicle has a blow head gasket your mechanic needs to perform a block test. This is a chemical test performed by exposing a CO2 sensitive chemical to the cooling system (through the radiator). If the head gasket is blown it will allow exhaust gases to enter the cooling system. If exhaust gases are present in the cooling system the chemical will react to the CO2 and change color. This is the simplest and most effective way to test a vehicle for a blown head gasket.[/QUOTE]

Any idea what the CO2 test should cost?

I only have access to 3-4 decent mechanics and usually they charge outrageous amounts of money. But I would be pumped if my headgasket is not blown...

I have found that since I bought mine, if you want to own a X, you gotta be able to do your own work. Otherwise the gettin it fixed cost quickly exceeds the value of the car, on a literal and mental level.
On mine alone, I have already bought a couple thousand dollars worth of parts, and done all the work myself, except the trans fluid change, and the ***** keeps screwing up still, gotta set of new springs to install this weekend, now the altenator is messing up, and the rear end needs rebuilding.
The only way I justify this to myself, is that it is good training for my next X, and that I will have a new restored truck when I am done. Either that or I am OCD, Lol.

The block test shouldn't cost any more than $20. It only takes a couple minutes to perform.

I just replaced the head gaskets on my 94 w/160K miles on it. WHen I took the heads off I decided to do the smart thing and took my heads to a machine shop to Magnaflux and pressure test them and sure enough...both heads were cracked. I was able to pick up a pair of re-man'd heads for $500 and the gasket kit for $100, and other small misc. tools. So I spent about $700.

If you are planning on doing it yourself be prepared to invest some time and money....

That's my two cents

two cents

What is a head? Ok just kidding. I have a feeling I will find so many things wrong with the engine once I start this project. I plan on waiting until Feb or so, but I will get the test done to see if there really is a problem. Until then, I get to drive my MUSTANG!

Back