Oil leak below head gasket level | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil leak below head gasket level

Has anyone swapped pans from a SOHC to a OHV?

I understand it is a stronger set up as it has an integral girdle to strengthen the bottom end. I'm exploring, pun intended, online sources for a used one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Taking the front end apart might be an option. I was contemplating replacing all my bushings, front axle u joints, wheel bearings, etc. so maybe I could go that route. I really don't know. I've never played much with suspension stuff past rotors so not sure on all that. On the other hand I had never changed head gaskets until I did, and now I have.
I'll start with the LIM and valve covers and go from there. In the spring when it's not freezing.

Quick test for piston rings; find a steep-ish hill and put it in low range 1st gear. Go down the hill and let the engine spool up, don't touch the brakes. At the bottom, pop it into OD and take off. If you have oil sealing problems, you'll see a cloud of blue.

Just to throw this out there, I was really impressed with the quality of Magnum gaskets from Rock Auto. The valve cover ones are silicone in a plastic holder and the LIM ones are 2-piece with silicone on metal. Real nice quality and they say they're reusable.

Taking the front end apart might be an option. I was contemplating replacing all my bushings, front axle u joints, wheel bearings, etc. so maybe I could go that route. I really don't know. I've never played much with suspension stuff past rotors so not sure on all that. On the other hand I had never changed head gaskets until I did, and now I have.
I'll start with the LIM and valve covers and go from there. In the spring when it's not freezing.

It's not hard at all, but it takes some time and a little patience to break some of the bolts free. Presoaking in PB blaster made a big difference. A big impact is helpful too, but I used a big breaker bar with a cheater on the end. IT's also one of the area's where there really isn't a shortcut to disassembly. Some guys can get bushings replaced with minimal disassembly, but I found that many parts really needed replacing as I took things apart. Im very happy having a fresh from end now.

Keep reading up on threads here and on the ranger station and you'll build confidence to do the job.

Quick test for piston rings; find a steep-ish hill and put it in low range 1st gear. Go down the hill and let the engine spool up, don't touch the brakes. At the bottom, pop it into OD and take off. If you have oil sealing problems, you'll see a cloud of blue.

Just to throw this out there, I was really impressed with the quality of Magnum gaskets from Rock Auto. The valve cover ones are silicone in a plastic holder and the LIM ones are 2-piece with silicone on metal. Real nice quality and they say they're reusable.

I think i got their LIM gaskets and they seem to be pretty good. I'm not impressed with the valve cover gaskets as mine still don't seal very well, but they are far superior to cork gaskets and rtv.

Oh, haven't heard of that test before, but it makes sense. I passed that test easily.

Back