Headache!! Civilian center console install on PIU | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headache!! Civilian center console install on PIU

Well, my patience paid off. In a world of $250 center consoles for 2016-2019 Civvy Explorers, I found one for $105. Any hints as to how to remove the gear shift as I have no interest moving the shifter to the floor?
20230110_151045.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow! VERY nice deal!
Sorry, but I am customizing mine for radios. (Ham, GMRS, CB)
Wish you all the luck and PLEASE post pics.

Wow! VERY nice deal!
Sorry, but I am customizing mine for radios. (Ham, GMRS, CB)
Wish you all the luck and PLEASE post pics.
I plan on removing the gear shift and putting a remote head for a radio there. Going to aim for an all-band Motorola APX. We'll see how my tax return is first!

I'll do a write up on this later, but here it is, minus the 3D printed stuff I'll put into the holes later, ready to be installed.
20230110_200705.jpg

Ask someone who works with vinyl reupholstering how to remove the lettering (P,R,N,D,S) without damaging that section.

Well, that was a pain in the rear, but it's in. I'll do a write up soon, hopefully this weekend.
20230112_054524.jpg

Next, reupholster the seats. Find someone that has a good reputation.
Not sure where you are from but the guy I have had do work for us is in Beloit.
He started learning from his dad and now in his 70s his work is in many show cars that have won trophies.

Why was the console such a pita? You remove metal bracket, install the two mounting brackets, and bolt it in. Wow that's hard!

Why was the console such a pita? You remove metal bracket, install the two mounting brackets, and bolt it in. Wow that's hard!
Thanks for the negativity and sarcasm, bro. 👍

You must be a hit at parties.

I am asking why you believe it's so hard to install a console? You instead think that I am being negative and sarcastic. I honestly don't understand your title of your entry.

I am asking why you believe it's so hard to install a console? You instead think that I am being negative and sarcastic. I honestly don't understand your title of your entry.
I'm not the original poster of this thread. Maybe read the rest of the thread before you post.

Maybe because the two plastic pieces that the FPIU uses don't work with the standard console?

I guess the difficulty is entirely dependent on if you decided to wire it all up with ambient lighting, sync controls and the 120v AC adapter.

I guess the difficulty is entirely dependent on if you decided to wire it all up with ambient lighting, sync controls and the 120v AC adapter.
Whelp, don't have sync, so didn't bother with that. I wired one of the 12v plugs and I got the model without the ambient lighting. I plan to make a harness so I can wire up the rest of the power points and the USB plug just to provide power for charging my phone.

can you do the swap without removing the seats? I bought one from a wrecker but haven’t installed it yet.

did you ever do a write up cant find one
I have not yet, life has gotten in the way, unfortunately.

can you do the swap without removing the seats? I bought one from a wrecker but haven’t installed it yet.
Yes. I did mine without removing the seats. You'll have to move them all the way forward and backwards throughout the install, but it's possible. It's not easy, but it's possible.

You can do the swap without removing any seats. For removing from the donor car pop off the two side panels, they are held on with clips only. This will reveal 8 10mm bolts. on each side there are 3 going into the console and 1 going into the dash. They are easy to spot and not too hard to access using a short socket and ratchet. There are also some plugs and 2 Christmas tree clips to remove. Be sure to pull the two mounting brackets from the donor car as well that are bolted into the floor under the console. If you already bought the console and did not get the brackets you can get away without them since you will be bolting it into the lower dash as well as the rear bracket which is welded onto the seat support bar on every PUI already. It will just wiggle less if you can get the other two brackets.

When someone gets sarcastic I just move on!
I accept advice as it has helped with projects

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If anyone is looking for an "interior upgrade" PIU finish plate for these consoles (i.e., no floor shifter hole). I have one available. I understand I'd need to become an elite explorer to sell it to one of you guys/gals but wanted to throw it out there and gauge the potential interest in it before doing so.

Back