Header & Exhaust Help - 97 5.0 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Header & Exhaust Help - 97 5.0 Mountaineer

MTime

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 5.0 AWD
I've looked though the threads and would appreciate some advise. My '97 5.0 AWD Mountaineer has 154k on it and I have a driver's side header leak (I can hear and feel exhaust coming through the heat shield). The exhaust system is original; the vehicle has been well maintained and is otherwie in great shape. So, I plan to replace at least the driver side header.

My questions are:
1) Should I replace passenger side header?
2) Is there a good(reasonable cost) after-market header I should get?
3) Should I consider replacing other parts of the exhaust?
4) Can I improve the fuel performance with any of these changes?

Thanks ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you search for explorer header(s) on e-bay you will see the options you have.
I would plan on the egr pipe cracking or breaking. If you have a new one available it won't crack, but if you don't , it will. Order this from the dealership.
I am planning on installing a set of FMS headers when they arrive, maybe the next week or so, and am planning on taking pics and writing up if I can swing it.
The repair depends on you, and how much you want to spend. You get out what you put in.
If I could afford it I'd buy the Torque monster headers, but I also am dealing with a crack, and figure the FMS headers to be affordable right now, plus they have to be better flowing than the stock units.
The inboard exhaust flange bolt on the passenger side is a pita unless you have an air ratchet, but the rest of the install can be done in a good day to as little as an hour with skill ( I've had my engine in and out a few times, headers in and out more often than i'd like). I've tried welding them but it doesn't take. They used a wierd alloy in the stock tubes.

I just replaced the passenger side manifold on mine. It was not bad except the flange bolt like jtsmith said. I got it from Ebay for $117 shipped and it was here in 3 days. Everything fit well except the EGR tube connection was a little out of place so I had to bend some of the EGR tube for a custom fit. If you want the name of the seller LMK because it is a shot in the dark with Ebay item quality. You will probably need swivel adapters to get around the shock mount and other things. I also put on a muffler and tailpipe (just oem stuff) for about $150. My Mountaineer only has 110000 and it had one manifold go bad and I replaced the exhaust. The previous owner had spent $3000 for all new converters at the dealer. That will be the day I pay that. So, with the mileage you have have done well.

jtsmith and Kawazar: Thanks for the insights. I feel alot better going into this repair.

FMS headers to be affordable right now, plus they have to be better flowing than the stock units.

You can say that again!
If you want to make HP eventually with more 5.0L modifiactions then the Torque Monster headers are worth every $$$

If you just want to repair the leaking unit you can find used stock manifolds semi cheap.
The factory manifolds are the biggest bottleneck your 5.0L comes with from the factor. The 2 versions of the OEM manifolds that Ford put on the block in order to fit the Gen II Exploder are not designed with performance in mind and will limit the amount of power your 5.0L can make.....

FMS headers to be affordable right now, plus they have to be better flowing than the stock units.

You can say that again!
If you want to make HP eventually with more 5.0L modifications then the Torque Monster headers are worth every $$$

If you just want to repair the leaking unit you can find used stock manifolds semi cheap.
The factory manifolds are the biggest bottleneck your 5.0L comes with from the factor. The 2 versions of the OEM manifolds that Ford put on the block in order to fit the Gen II Exploder are not designed with performance in mind and will limit the amount of power your 5.0L can make.....

Most OEM V8 Exploere's I see on the road have a ticking on the passenger side, should have been recalled IMO.

Any recommendations on where to buy FMS headers

Back