Headlight switch | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight switch

I will. I didn't even realize there was a light there! Thanks for bringing it up. I'll order it and try and make it happen. Can't promise pix, but I'll give a good description if I end up stuffing the socket with tinfoil or something! (Kidding). I guess I'll go with white to keep with the original color. I assume there is a green tint to the switch face.

Yes there is a green tint to the switch faces lettering so white would be best. I notice on the auto illuminations site they have standard bulbs too but the are the same measurements as the led. I am curious to the point of possibly ordering one of each for testing and or modification. my bulb was working but only if I hit the gauge and well today after taking it out and putting it back in it blew...guess I should learn to leave well enough alone!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SCORE!!!!! It worked!!:party: I was a little concerned because it was the "Super Bright" bulb, but it's a little shorter than the stock bulb, so I think that makes up for it. Also, you need a screwdriver to install it, no big deal though. Great find polizi212!!!!:dpchug:

Attachments

• GEDC0810.JPG
    GEDC0810.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 946
  • GEDC0816.JPG
    GEDC0816.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 893
  • GEDC0819.JPG
    GEDC0819.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 820

Hi, I found another solution for me.
(Ruler shows centimeters!)

12619136oi.jpg

12619137fm.jpg

12619138tp.jpg

SCORE!!!!! It worked!!:party: I was a little concerned because it was the "Super Bright" bulb, but it's a little shorter than the stock bulb, so I think that makes up for it. Also, you need a screwdriver to install it, no big deal though. Great find polizi212!!!!:dpchug:

I am glad to hear this glad I found that now I need to order one myself. How much brighter is this than say the other dash illumination? How long did it take for you to get the bulb ounce you ordered???

Holy cow Lukas! I thought I was a cool Do it yourselfer, and then you come along! I thought of doing that too....yeah...only I was going to melt down sand and hand blow the bulb. But I wanted to try this LED for the sake of the forum....yeah, that's it........LOL

As far a the brightness, it is the same as the entire panel, no difference. Oh and also, they do dim with the rest of the panel as well. Took like maybe 2-3 days from when I ordered it. Easy money....

So I ordered some new led bulbs and while I wait for them. I fixed my original with a bulb from a Jeep Cherokee Switch. I had to solder longer wires on to make it work but it works for now, As a added side effect my Interior lights were acting silly coming on if I bumped the keys or after starting the truck the lights would not turn off till I opened and closed the door, etc. Well after fixing my headlight bulb my dome lights are behaving like they should which is very odd! I don't often look a gift horse in the mouth but that's odd to say the least!

So I ordered some new led bulbs and while I wait for them. I fixed my original with a bulb from a Jeep Cherokee Switch. I had to solder longer wires on to make it work but it works for now, As a added side effect my Interior lights were acting silly coming on if I bumped the keys or after starting the truck the lights would not turn off till I opened and closed the door, etc. Well after fixing my headlight bulb my dome lights are behaving like they should which is very odd! I don't often look a gift horse in the mouth but that's odd to say the least!

If it starts doing that again, it might be the starter switch:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375096

I've just ordered led replacements for my O1 sport, But in case you want a alternative solution, I have been using Grain of wheat hobby bulbs!
The way I do it is go to salvage yard and get couple of used ones (99% chance they burnt out) Then carefully remove bulb from base, then holding old bulb by wires, I break the glass part with pliers then CAREFULLY work the most of the broken glass out of colored lens. ( i've ruined a lot of lenses trying other methods!)
Then just feed wires from the new bulb thru old base, strip wires and wrap them around in place where old wires were, put on lens and install in vehicle.

NOTE I TEST LIGHT SEVERAL TIMES THRU PROCESS WITH A 9 VOLT BATTERY
BEFORE INSTALLING!

changing the topic a bit. I have 2007 XLT with out the auto on lights. I do the have the sensor on the dash. So can I buy a new switch with the auto on feature and plug it in and have it work? If I have to go after a burnt out light on the switch I might as well replace it for an small upgrade. Thanks Mike

changing the topic a bit. I have 2007 XLT with out the auto on lights. I do the have the sensor on the dash. So can I buy a new switch with the auto on feature and plug it in and have it work? If I have to go after a burnt out light on the switch I might as well replace it for an small upgrade. Thanks Mike

If my memory is working today just adding a switch will not make your Auto light feature work as it is part of a system called the Smart Junction box. Which is a item that controls all lighting functions of the Vehicle! I am not sure that box can be reprogrammed to make that work or not!

Just to add little info here. I just replaced my headlight switch bulb with the LED mentioned above. When I tried it last night, it was still out. I turned the bulb 180 degrees (LEDiode, duh !!!) and polarity was correct. Bulb lights. But I will say it is not as bright as the original. Might be due to the shorter length, or the uni-directionality (is that a word?) of the LED itself. Still better than nothing, and very easy to replace. 3 minutes.

Thanks polizi212 for the info.

Best

Paul.../NH

Just to add little info here. I just replaced my headlight switch bulb with the LED mentioned above. When I tried it last night, it was still out. I turned the bulb 180 degrees (LEDiode, duh !!!) and polarity was correct. Bulb lights. But I will say it is not as bright as the original. Might be due to the shorter length, or the uni-directionality (is that a word?) of the LED itself. Still better than nothing, and very easy to replace. 3 minutes.

Thanks polizi212 for the info.

Best

Paul.../NH

Thanks I am glad I was actually able to find something of value to add to the forum!

I am posting to see if anyone else had trouble with the http://www.autolumination.com/74.htm LED replacement option after some time of use?

I put a replacement in about 6 months ago as described above by polizi and bignutz. Worked fine (I couldn't compare to OEM bulb because it was blown when I bought the vehicle).

Just recently it started acting up when the explorer is running. The bulb flashes and blinks, like a loose connection.

I pulled the switch and put my voltmeter on the bulb terminals and did not see much change in voltage to the bulb, so I don't think its loose wiring anywhere else. The light illuminates continuously with the key on/vehicle off (with lights on of course), but blinks/flashes/generally acts intermittently when the vehicle is running.

It appears the LED is happy at 12V, and no longer happy at 14-14.5V?

I did push on the back of the bulb so that the wires were making good contact with the circuit board, and no change in behavior.

Like I said, worked fine for six months, just recently started acting up. Wondering if anyone else had trouble.

Mine is still working after 10 or so months. A little dimmer than I would like but..... See my post above. I think I've got a spare (cheap), I'll have to look for it. If you're interested PM me).

-Paul.../NH

I have a 98 XLT with out auto dim. Would like to know if you can buy a replacement bulb or do you have to go LED?

Thanks.
Lyn

bump, really some help please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for my 1998 xlt.... i just went to the pull your own parts junk yard and removed bulbs from other trucks. I was pretty proficient at removing those switches and clusters for all those pesky cost way too much bulbs.... I did make some 194 leds work for the cruise control lights but they also went out after 10 months and started blinking like the other guy said...

Back