• Register Today It's free!

Headlight switch

SBV45

Reaction score
City, State
Central Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
09 Explorer EB 4X4
I have a 2009 EB. The headlight switch does not have a backlight so it is not illuminated like the rest of the controls.

Is that the way it is supposed to be or do I have a light out?

If I have a light out, does anybody know the procedure to replace it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the automatic light function? I would just stick it on auto and not worry about it anymore. To my knowledge the control knob is not lit, but if you have fog lights a small indicator does light up when you activate them.

I have the auto light function that turns on the headlights when it gets a low light condition like when I pull in the garage. I also have fog lights. Everything else works ok.

The units with the auto lights is backlit so you might have a bulb burnt out unless the lights are set so dim that you cannot tell. At any rate I personally would not worry about it since everything else is working good.

On my 2007 Explorer the headlight switch also is not illuminated.
Only when I pull the switch, there is a little green light to show that the fog light is on.
In my opinion it's normal that the switch is not illuminated.

My 2006 EB has autolights and there is a backlight on the switch. Now and again it goes out. I tap the switch panel and it comes back on. The bulb on mine needs reseating probably. But I'm just letting you know there might be a bulb out.

... I tap the switch panel and it comes back on. The bulb on mine needs reseating probably. ...

I have to correct me. You are right.
When tapping on the switch panel the light comes back on here, too.
I will try to reseat the bulb.

How do you get at the bulb? Do you have to remove part of the dash? If so, any instructions would be appreciated.

Maybe this helps:

12422931ne.jpg

And that is why I say to just not worry about it. Those metal retaining clips that hold the plastic molding in place are a PITA.

I have the auto headlight feature. So I put it on that. I rarely have a need for fog lights and I can't see the headlight switch when seated in the driver seat with the steering wheel adjusted. So I won't worry about it. The pain factor is too high in trying to change it.

PIt does not use the metal clips they are plastic and it is very simple to remove here are some pictures on how to get to it.
Start by removing the vent just take your time with it I pushed in slightly on the side and only do one side at a time once you get one side out the rest will come out easily. After the vent is out you will see 2 plastic clips on top just use your finger and push down on them one at a time and the top piece will pop out and and then on the back of the switch turn the bulb socket counterclockwise and pull out the old bulb. How ever I called multiple dealerships and none of them sell the bulb itself you have to buy the whole switch.

Attachments

• IMG_20121109_111633.jpg
    IMG_20121109_111633.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,920
  • IMG_20121109_111808.jpg
    IMG_20121109_111808.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,707
  • 2012-11-09_11-03-40_925.jpg
    2012-11-09_11-03-40_925.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,681
  • IMG_20121109_111851.jpg
    IMG_20121109_111851.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,691

My bulb is also burned out so it can stay burned out and I will replace it if the switch ever goes bad.

Attachments

• IMG_20121109_111957.jpg
    IMG_20121109_111957.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,496
  • 2012-11-09_11-05-57_25.jpg
    2012-11-09_11-05-57_25.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,493

Just did the same job. May I introduce you my bulb? ;)

12448201ln.jpg

Now since you have it out its time to find its replacement!!

When I see how hot the bulb seems to get, than maybe it's better to have a blown bulb than to get a damaged switch because of the heat.
The only solution would be the use of a LED.

I think I have found a place to get a comparable replacement for these bulbs look at this web page http://autolumination.com/74.htm and go down about half way to the "Neo - Wedge Tall LED Instrument Panel Bulbs!" these look very similar I have to take mine out and measure to be sure!

Good find Polizi212. Let me know what your measurements show.

I measured my bulb and I get a measurement of 3/8 across the bottom which is approx equal to 10 mm but my bulb measures 1 1/4 inches long and that works out to 31 mm which it way taller than the other bulb which is only 19 mm tall! They still might work! Who wants to be the guinea pig and try them???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I measured my bulb and I get a measurement of 3/8 across the bottom which is approx equal to 10 mm but my bulb measures 1 1/4 inches long and that works out to 31 mm which it way taller than the other bulb which is only 19 mm tall! They still might work! Who wants to be the guinea pig and try them???

I will. I didn't even realize there was a light there! Thanks for bringing it up. I'll order it and try and make it happen. Can't promise pix, but I'll give a good description if I end up stuffing the socket with tinfoil or something! (Kidding). I guess I'll go with white to keep with the original color. I assume there is a green tint to the switch face.

Back