• Register Today It's free!

Headliner repair.

Dave01234

Reaction score
City, State
Irwin (Near Pittsburgh) PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 X, 89 Bronco II
I've read Tbars4's sticky on head liner repair but what do you do when the cardboard is really brittle that it cracks when you start scraping it. I have been researching fiberglass mat/cloth on cardboard molds and it seems doable. there are many was to go about it but what it comes down to is you take the headliner down and lay it cloth side down. Now you want to put something on the brittle cardboard so the fiberglass mat doesn't stick to it. I've read many things you can use. Plastic wrap, vaseline etc. they say you should use thin 1.5oz mat and soak it in the resin lay it on the headliner use a brush or roller or both to get the air bubbles out. You will want to work your way up to a total of 6oz of mat. The first time you can lay the mat front to back the the socond time side to side etc. When your done you should have a 1/4" solid headliner that you will need to trim and cut any holes out etc. Then you can proceed with Tbars4's sticky and you should have a solid shell to glue your material to. I plan on doing this to my Bronco II but I have a paint job, engine and axle swaps then the interior. Seems like this should work just do a search on fiberglass on cardboard molds. I will post my results when I get there unless someone decides to try it first. Any thoughts or opinions please post. Thanks

Back