Heat won't stop! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heat won't stop!

mikehenya

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer 4.6 4x4
I have read through several threads about blend doors, but non sound like my issue. For some reason the heat does NOT stop coming out of the floor vents in the front! I did open the glove box and watch the arms when I pushed the buttons and the arms did move every time they were supposed too. Anyone else tackled this one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine seems that way too. Even seems hot in the summer. 2002 Limited

Mine too, but never bothered to look into it. May have even been doing this since new.

I always have heat/airflow blowing out the floor vents, regardless of what the setting is on. Air does flow out of the appropriate spot when it is selected, but it always flow out of the floor vents. I have done some research and will expand on this when I finish shoveling the driveway. Stay tuned.............:popcorn:

Im pretty certain that there is more than one flapper door inside the HVAC system. One that controls the hot and cold and another that controls where the air goes. If one of the seals is bad on the flappers it would blow the air out through the lower vents

Just to clarify, Im not talking a little....I'm talking more than what actually comes out of the defrosters. It's actually blowing as hard as the inequivalent setting on the vent would be. If I have defrost on High, there is enough blowing out the floor to blow receipts off the floor mat. If I switch it to floor and defrost, it blows even harder!

Mikehena. Your problem sounds like it is one of several vacuum mode actuators. The one your talking about is not located behind the glovebox as the one on the left behind the glovebox is for the panel/vent and on the rear right for the fresh air/recirc door. The vacuum actuator that controls the defrost/floor door is located in the back between the instrument cluster and the radio. If you remove the radio and heater controls you should be able to see the vacuum actuator move when you move the mode selector between floor and defrost. My situation caused just my floor and defrost modes to be mixed at all times only when on either of the two. All of the other modes operate fine. I believe it is the yellow vacuum line. My actuator was good, but the plastic door hinge that connects to the actuator is broken. To the best of my knowledge you have to remove the dash to repair this. If it is only the actuator and not the door like my problem, you may be able to remove the instrument cluster and radio/heater controls to install a new actuator. I am planning to pull my dash when the weather gets a little better to fix both the broken floor/defrost door and also my fresh air/recirc door is broken as well. I'll probably look for a heater plenum from a salvage yard. Anyone have any suggestions on this? I'm not sure if the fresh air/recirc door is part of the plenum or a separate part? Thanks!

Just to clarify, Im not talking a little....I'm talking more than what actually comes out of the defrosters. It's actually blowing as hard as the inequivalent setting on the vent would be. If I have defrost on High, there is enough blowing out the floor to blow receipts off the floor mat. If I switch it to floor and defrost, it blows even harder!

sounds like the floor door is stuck open partly.

Mikehena. Your problem sounds like it is one of several vacuum mode actuators. The one your talking about is not located behind the glovebox as the one on the left behind the glovebox is for the panel/vent and on the rear right for the fresh air/recirc door. The vacuum actuator that controls the defrost/floor door is located in the back between the instrument cluster and the radio. If you remove the radio and heater controls you should be able to see the vacuum actuator move when you move the mode selector between floor and defrost. My situation caused just my floor and defrost modes to be mixed at all times only when on either of the two. All of the other modes operate fine. I believe it is the yellow vacuum line. My actuator was good, but the plastic door hinge that connects to the actuator is broken. To the best of my knowledge you have to remove the dash to repair this. If it is only the actuator and not the door like my problem, you may be able to remove the instrument cluster and radio/heater controls to install a new actuator. I am planning to pull my dash when the weather gets a little better to fix both the broken floor/defrost door and also my fresh air/recirc door is broken as well. I'll probably look for a heater plenum from a salvage yard. Anyone have any suggestions on this? I'm not sure if the fresh air/recirc door is part of the plenum or a separate part? Thanks!

Good info. I think this is why I don't get much air out of the floor/defrost. Thanks for posting this. Now I know where to start looking.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread. Sorry for the hijack.

Been offline a few days from the ice storm! Great info, Ill pull the radio again and take a look! There were so many actuators on the pass side I never thought to look on the drivers side! Thanks!!

I agree, great info. As soon as the weather gets nicer, or I somehow find a garage to work in, I'm going to look into this. Thanks to all for the great info. :D

Hello,

I also have a problem with where I direct the airflow. I already fixed my temp mix adjustment by replacing my blend door actuator. I used to think that the defrost just didn't work as good as previous Explorers(1st & 2nd generation), but one day I realized that I always have airflow at the windshield defrost and floor when on ONLY floor or ONLY defrost, ther is no change in flow intensity. I looked into it further and pinpointed my floor/defrost door vacuum powered actuator linkage. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to fix the linkage, and if I really need to remove the whole dash to get to it. I see the broken black plastic linkage behind the radio and near the instrument cluster. In the pic below you can see the track of the radio. The broken linkage is just to the right-rear of the radio.

broken.jpg

Thanks for any ideas or tips if you have tackled this one before! I am hoping I can get to it better if I remove my radio and instrument cluster this weekend. Wish me luck!

Back