2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my new muffler in yesterday... Looks pretty nice IMO:

photo%2B1.jpg

photo%2B2.jpg

Need to finish removing the old turbo oil line and install the new spark plugs and a few other things before I can limp it to the exhaust shop prior to having the tune redone (not to mention I still need to install the spacer).

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yeah... hope it SOUNDS purdy too! Haha :D

TONS of homework this weekend (ARG!!!) BUT I am hoping to get some work done on the Xploder so I can hurry and get it to the exhaust shop for my headers install and exhaust build ASAP!

Still slacking lol... Can't find any human way to get to where Justin tapped into the oil feed line without a lift.. Going to seal the far end of the braided line as a temp fix so I can drive it the few miles to my exhaust shop guy for the header install and exhaust setup. I'll have him see if he can seal the oil feed at the origin while on the lift as well.

Also need to put my new plugs in and reflag to stock tune until everything is on and I can get it retuned. Hopefully soon!

Finally got some time to work on the truck...

* Plugged the oil feed line at the end of the braided line as I couldn't get to the origin point :-/
* Installed 4 of 8 spark plugs (driver side).
* Replaced broken driver side fog light.
* Removed all electrical wiring that was in place for IC fan and STS oil pump.
* Removed driver door panel.. Trying to fix door lock.. Does not unlock or lock via remote or key but can unlock with interior door handle... In process now lol.

Hope to get it up and running this weekend so I can get it to exhaust shop for header and exhaust install (and hopefully ITM spacer as well lol)!

Found the problem with the door... The little spring in the latch mechanism was broken :-/ bent a new hook in it and ghetto rigged it to hold the lever in place and the lock works perfect but I need to pull panel off again and move the spring to a different location so it does not impact the cylinder piece the latch grasps onto when shutting the door.. It works fine but makes a crunchy sound currently lol.

It's alive!

Lol.. Started it up for the first time in many months... Put in last 4 spark plugs and moved the truck out of the garage and let it run a while and saw no leaks.. Drove around the neighborhood and one of the plug wires popped out and sparked but took care of that and all seemed well.

Should be good enough to get to the exhaust shop a few miles away this week hopefully!

My third spark plug wire back on driver side keeps falling off the plug.. Is there a way to tighten it onto the plug??

On another note.. Dropped truck off at an exhaust shop on Sat for my exhaust work and headers... Sadly his small shop only deals with aluminized steel versus 409SS but he's doing all the custom dual exhaust in 2.5" for $200 and will let me know cost of header install in a few days once he can take a good look on the lift.. But prob $200-$300 or so.

You check the wire boot to see if the little metal spring is still in there and not bent or broke? When one wasn't snapping in on the spark plug for me once that ended up being the culprit.

You check the wire boot to see if the little metal spring is still in there and not bent or broke? When one wasn't snapping in on the spark plug for me once that ended up being the culprit.

Cool, thanks for the infoi will take a look when I get the truck back.

Looks like next week is go time! Looking at 350$ for header install and 250-300$ for the custom ran dual exhaust... May have the guy just do the ITM spacer install while in there already and save me some time myself.

Headers are in!

$450 later lol.. Pretty much every bolt broke off in the head and had to be tapped out :-/

Being moved to exhaust shop today or Monday for the exhaust work! Woo!

Headers are in!

$450 later lol.. Pretty much every bolt broke off in the head and had to be tapped out :-/

Being moved to exhaust shop today or Monday for the exhaust work! Woo!

Sounds like its moving along! I live in Jackson and would like to check out your truck sometime! Good luck with the build. :thumbsup:

Sounds like its moving along! I live in Jackson and would like to check out your truck sometime! Good luck with the build. :thumbsup:

Sure thing man, thanks a lot :)

I actually retrieved my truck Thursday from the exhaust shop.. It sounds real good! He only had one issue and it was with the right upstream o2 sensor which stripped out trying to be removed from old exhaust.. I ordered a new one from rock auto. It also appears he forgot to add another rear bung for my AF sensor so I'll have to get him to weld one in later so I can get my tune dialed in.

Ok... a couple pictures:

P20770300.jpg

P20770501.jpg

P20770702.jpg

P20770903.jpg

P20771204.jpg

P20771706.jpg

P20771505.jpg

Ordered a new passenger side inner fender piece to replace the one on the truck that was chopped up to fit the turbo pipes thru... Got it in yesterday and my new upstream o2 sensor to replace the one that got tore up trying to get out of my old exhaust... Hope to take a nice sound clip of the exhaust this weekend once the sensor is in and I no longer have a hole in my exhaust (o2 bung) :D

Also, in the near near future (cpl weeks) I will need another bung added at the back of my exhaust for my AF sensor to be bolted back in for my AF gauge so I can get the tune dialed in... Hope to order a tune in a few weeks from Henson Performance.

On a side note... Hope to FINALLY after many many moons retrieve my SVT Focus from NC and bring her back home. Woohoo! :D

Got a little work done... Added a throttle spring inside my door to fix the door lock and retrieved factory door code and reprogrammed it. Hope to get exhaust sensor bung and o2 sensor taken care of soon as well.

Had the lovely door ajar light and lights on in the cab a few days ago (out of the blue) after I repaired my driver side door lock... found the wd40 trick here in the forums and it turns out it was my rear passenger side door... Sprayed some wd40 into the door handle slits and on the latch mechanism and the issue was resolved immediately. Awesome! :D

On another note... hope to wire up my sat radio setup that is in the truck (from previous owner Justin) and see about getting that all working sometime in the near future. Plan on getting new tires beginning of next month and the truck registered (expired tags on her right now), my IMF spacer installed, and everything tuned up! Hopefully will flush the transmission fluid as well, no idea on the age of the stuff, using the details also found on the site. All of my other fluids have already been changed out with synthetic stuff (tc/diffs/radiator/oil/etc).

Back