Heated seats and wheel stays on after remote start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heated seats and wheel stays on after remote start

Turning on the rear window defroster, manually or remotely, will also turn on the heated mirrors, if equipped. Both will turn OFF after a period of time.

Peter

Yep but none of those were in question. I'm asking specifically about the rear defroster mode AFTER a remote start and after ignition is turned on. In both summer time ambient and winter time ambient.

Off topic and wrong platform, but what does your Aviator do after a remote start? Do you see the rear defroster still turned on? How about your older 2017 Platinum?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I park my vehicle in the garage so the rear window isn't usually frosted over. I have used remote start on both but don't recall ever having to turn it OFF myself. I can't honestly say that I've noticed if the defrost indicator is turned ON. Not much help I know but will keep this in mind if the occasion ever arises.

Peter

I park my vehicle in the garage so the rear window isn't usually frosted over. I have used remote start on both but don't recall ever having to turn it OFF myself. I can't honestly say that I've noticed if the defrost indicator is turned ON. Not much help I know but will keep this in mind if the occasion ever arises.

Peter

It doesn't matter if there is frost or not. The rear defroster is turned on based on outside ambient temperature and the automatic climate settings for remote start. I park in my garage and there is never frost on the glass or mirrors but the rear defrost turns on. There are no "frost sensors" that I am aware of being implemented on D3/D4/CD6 rear glass/mirrors.

I was just using the frost on the glass as a way to tell if the defroster was ON as I don't recall any indicators lighting up.

I was just using the frost on the glass as a way to tell if the defroster was ON as I don't recall any indicators lighting up.

During remote start, my entire HVAC system is not lit up. I used an IR thermometer and the Mark I hand/feel on the glass/mirrors to confirm the defrosters are on. But once i get into the vehicle and turn the ignition on, the hVAC panel lights up and reverts to whatever I had before - EXCEPT now the rear defroster switch is lit up. So my original question is:
Is this normal for a winter and summer remote start?
Does anyone else's Explorer do this?

I was just going to try this with the Aviator, which I guess has the same setup, but the current temperature is 34 F so that likely won't trigger the defrost. I believe the temperature has to be at 32 F or below as measured by the vehicle's outside temperature sensor for defrost to come on based on what I've read in another post from a Ford rep.

Peter

So someone else posted their stock F-150 HVAC module line and it translates to Rear Defroster On in FORScan. My guess is that the default setting was to enable rear defrost regardless of temperature. But I'd still try the Aviator remote start to see if it heats the mirrors/rear glass and what the state of the rear defrost is when the ignition is turned on.

My Fusion Sport doesn't have a HVAC module, but the only Rear Defroster setting I see shows it is Disabled. Ford didn't publish the HVAC module as-builts on the Motorcraft site for some reason. 733-07-01 is the line that controls it.

My Fusion Sport was stored for the winter so I didn't want it to run the A/C compressor during a remote start, so I tested my dad's Fusion Sport. Ambient temp was 45F, and the rear defroster automatically turns on (mirrors heat up, same with rear glass) as does the A/C compressor for the front defroster and floor. When I turned the ignition on, the rear defroster stays on requiring me to turn it off. I just never paid attention to my 2014 SHO or my own 2017 Fusion Sport but I could have sworn I had to turn their rear defrosters off after a remote start as well.

So this answers my question.

Yep but none of those were in question. I'm asking specifically about the rear defroster mode AFTER a remote start and after ignition is turned on. In both summer time ambient and winter time ambient.

Off topic and wrong platform, but what does your Aviator do after a remote start? Do you see the rear defroster still turned on? How about your older 2017 Platinum?
Had a chance to get out today and used remote start. Rear window and outside mirrors warmed up. After I got in I noticed that the rear window defroster button was lit up (ON). After turning the ignition ON, the defrost button continued to be ON but after about 9 minutes of driving it turned itself OFF. I imagine my 2017 Platinum was the same since I don't recall ever manually turning the defrost OFF after a remote start.

Peter

Back