• Register Today It's free!

Heated seats module

Yogi Bear

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
I have a 2011 Explorer limited with dual heated and cooled seats. The heated and cooled seats work on the passenger side just fine. On the drivers side, when I press the dash button to turn on the heated seat I can hear the fan click on then right back off ( the light on the dash stays on). If I turn car off and back on I can hear same click of fan coming on then back off. The dealer thought the heated and cooled module needed to be replaced so I bought it and replaced and have the same issue as above. Does this need to be programmed by them also? If so does it need to be installed to be programmed or can they do outside of vehicle?

Thanks
YB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not familiar with that module but would not think it requires any kind of programming. I don't know how difficult it is to replace but perhaps you can try switching the driver's one with the passenger's one and see what happens. If the switched one in the driver's side still doesn't work then it likely isn't the module. You can then try putting the initial driver's side one in the passenger side and if it works then the issue is somewhere else.

Peter

Only one seat module in the explorers on the driver side. It controls both seats.

Yes it does have to be programmed according to the service manual. The dealer will have to use their dealer scan tool to do this with the part in the vehicle.

Now if you want to save some money you can program it yourself. You can buy an OBDII adapter that links with your computer via Bluetooth and download Forscan (Free).

Then you download your AS BUILT DATA for that module from motorcraft.com and load it into the software to program the module.

You can save money doing it this way plus you get a pretty cool scan tool that can read all control units.

If this is the path you want to take let me know and I can walk you through the steps.

Also, note there is always the chance that something else is wrong. I feel like if you are experiencing the same issue with the new unit even without the programming there maybe something else going on.

You may have a fault in the heating element or something else causing the system to back off.

Did the dealer hook up a scan tool to it to check for codes?

That is correct there is only one module for both seats and it is under the passenger seat. The weird thing is I bought a brand new unit and installed it and have the same issue as the unit that is currently installed in the vehicle. I would have thought that either a) everything worked or b) nothing worked. I did have into the local dealer and they said this module was the issue so I don't know.. I was thinking maybe needed programming?

You get any paper work stating what they did with any potential error codes?

You get any paper work stating what they did with any potential error codes?

No paperwork other than receipt. I called and talked to service advisor and got part number from them. I will run it by Ford to have them program. I just wasn't sure if it needed to be programmed or not. I'll keep you posted.

Can someone provide a picture of where the module is located on the driver side seat?

I still can not find this module under either seat. Pictures please?

When I use cooling, the fan runs continuously. When heating, it runs intermittently. Is that normal? The heating doesn't seem to work all that well.

When I use cooling, the fan runs continuously. When heating, it runs intermittently. Is that normal? The heating doesn't seem to work all that well.
I believe it is but I've never heard my fans run. In cooling mode, I believe it uses the cabin air to cool the seat whereas, in heating mode, it uses a heating pad that the fan blows the air through so the fan only operates when the pad is heating.
How do vented seats work?

Peter

Back